Friday, May 30, 2008

Bandwagon Jumpers

The (truly) hated New York Yankees are in town this weekend to play the Twins. I'll probably take The Dudes to the game on Sunday. It's the Yankees, after all. The Yankees are arguably both the most-loved and most-hated professional franchise in sports. Each time I have attended a Twins-Yankees game at the Dome, I have been astounded by how many Yankees fans show up to root on their team. These fans must really love their Yankees to travel from New York to Minneapolis to attend the series, right?

Hell, no.

Most of these "fans" traveled from the far reaches of Blaine, Shakopee, Lakeville, etc. to cheer their "beloved" Yankees. Bandwagon Jumpers. In fact, the last time I attended a Twins-Yankees game, the girl sitting next to me was especially boisterous in her support of the Yanks. She had the whole outfit - jersey, hat, foam finger. I had to ask her where she was from. Oh, she was from Brooklyn all right - Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. Why was she cheering for the Yankees? Because Derek Jeter was "so cute." Now, I can see this, I guess. Hey, Jeter is a good looking guy. But, the guy she was with was also a Yankees fan from Brooklyn Park. Psychology 101 says he was cheering for the Yankees because HE HAS THE PSYCHOLOGICAL NEED TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH A WINNER. Believe it. This is the case with all Bandwagon jumpers.

I am sure that both of these individuals have moved on to being Red Sox fans (like most bandwagon Yankees fans have) since that day I sat by them in the Dome. After all, the Yankees are now passe and the Sox have won two world series and they have a cool "B" on their hats. They will claim, however, to have "always been Red Sox fans." After all, they have a second-cousin who knows this guy from Boston. Right?

When I grew up in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, it was my belief that you could only cheer for two groups of teams - those from the Green Bay/Milwaukee area (Home State) or those from Minneapolis-St.Paul (only 80 miles from EC). I was very suspicious of those who cheered for teams outside of these two areas. I always thought you should cheer for those teams who represent your area and SUFFER along with your neighbors. I should put "asterisks" by that last statement, however, as to why somebody would cheer for a team or teams outside of their home area. Here they are:

**You were born in or used to live in another city that had sports teams. This is a no-brainer. Of course you would cheer for those teams.

**You had a parent who cheered for another team because they were born in another city and cheered for that team (and were not Bandwagon Jumpers themselves). I can see that.

**There is a hometown connection to another team. For example Tom Poquette, an Eau Claire native, played for the Kansas City Royals in the 1970's. Many people cheered for the Royals for that reason (right Al?). That's cool.

**Lastly, if you simply cannot root for your local squads, it is OK to pick a somewhat "inconsequential team" like the San Diego Padres or the Cleveland Browns. If the team got good later, more power to you. It may be a good idea to carry a notarized letter stating the exact date that you started to follow the team, however, so you don't appear to be a Bandwagon Jumper."

Now, please notice on that last note that I said "inconsequential team." You can't just pick the latest dynasty. There are certain teams that a rational, moral human being simply cannot cheer for unless they grew up in the State or vicinity of that team. Here they are:

NFL:

**DALLAS COWBOYS - The Cowboys are Evil incarnate. The so-called "America's Team." No way. They are despicable and Jerry Jones is the devil. Terrell Owens. The Drew Pearson push-off. And now, they signed Pac Man Jones. You can't like them unless you are from Texas. You just can't.

** PITTSBURGH STEELERS - If you are over 35, not from Pennsylvania and are a Steelers fan, you lack a soul. You like them because, as a kid, you had to be associated with a champion when they were winning every Super Bowl in sight in the 1970's. You know this to be true, don't you? Unless you had a friend of a third-cousin who once had a layover in Pittsburgh, of course.

**NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Unless you live in New England, there is no way you were ever a Patriots fan until they started winning Super Bowls unless you have the notarized letter. No way. But that Tom Brady sure is cute, isn't he?

MLB:

**NEW YORK YANKEES - If I have to explain this one, you haven't been following sports for very long.

**BOSTON RED SOX - This one is hard, because I believe there are a lot of people who truly carry "the notarized letter" of being a long-time Red Sox fan. The Red Sox used to be the anti-Yankees, lovable losers, etc. Now, they've won a couple of World Series and have a payroll that approaches the Yankees. They paid $50 million for the right to negotiate with a Japanese pitcher (Dice-K). It's like when good Spiderman turned into that evil Black Spiderman.

**ATLANTA BRAVES - Superstation, Superstation, Superstation. Plus, the Tomahawk Chop. Plus, Hanoi Jane.

NBA:

**LOS ANGELES LAKERS - There are no lakes in Los Angeles, and there is no reason to cheer for this team if you are not from California. This team is reserved for Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest of Hollyweird. They do not represent some guy in Brainerd.

**CHICAGO BULLS - Once Michael Jordan came aboard, everyone bought Bulls jackets (especially the burn-outs, which is weird) and claimed to "have always loved the team." You don't see these folks in their jackets now that Jordan has retired. True Bandwagon Jumpers. Watch out now that they have the 1st pick in the draft, though! I wonder if they keep those jackets???

NHL:

**DETROIT RED WINGS - I really think that hockey does not have as many Bandwagon Jumpers as other sports. The reason is because there are so few American fans that the ones that exist tend to be pretty die-hard. There might be Bandwagon Jumpers in Canada, but I don't know that for sure. It is my belief, however, that if a person was to start watching hockey tomorrow, they cannot cheer for the mighty Red Wings unless they are from Michigan. (note to Dools and Johnny - don't worry, your good. You're from Michigan). This would take no thought whatsoever. None. Geez, cheer for a Canadian team if you're just going to pick somebody.

That's all of the teams that I can think of. By the way, you cannot cheer for Duke in college athletics unless you attended the University. But college athletics is a whole other subject. What do you think? Are there teams that I missed? Are you a.................Bandwagon Jumper?

Jeff

19 comments:

tony8489 said...

I became a yankee fan in 1977, when they began the greatest comback in history, culminating in bucky dents home run over the green monster. being in nyc for game 6 in 1996 and attending that game was the best sports experience of my life. over two million people in times square that night, partying the night away. these fans are on another level. insane. insane in a good way.

Anonymous said...

Jeff-

This is, in my opinion, one of your best posts. A great topic, and superbly argued!

You forgot one thing though...The Chicago Blackhawks.

I thoroughly enjoyed "rooting" for them when we lived together on Lake St. just to piss you off.

Anonymous said...

For reasons stated in your post, I too have had to routinely define, defend and back up my support of Minnesota's professional sports franchises over the years while growing up in Eau Claire. My parents were MN natives (both growing up in St. Peter) and I was born in Mpls.

It was not uncommon for me to have to produce my birth certificate in order to justify my being as a Vikes fan. Today's youth are unlike us in many ways.

My son has taken to the "winners" and I have to counsel him that the aforementioned "bandwagon fan" is not well-received in most parts. His afinity for the Patriots and Red Wings concerns me that I'm not doing a good job of parenting.

At least he's not a Jeff Gordon "mark" though, right?

Great post and can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Vikes possible signing of Jason Taylor.

Best defense in football? I'd forward that the Purple People Eaters are sitting up and taking notice to find out!

Peace Out.

Jeff said...

Thanks for the comments you guys.

tony - that's cool that you actually got to attend the game in NY in '96. Nothing wrong with "getting caught up in the party!" By the way, I can't believe that this is the last year for Yankee stadium....

Jase - thanks! You bring up a good point, too. I knew back in The Day that you were cheering for the Blackhawks (my most hated team back then) just to piss me off. I actually thought that was pretty funny. That should be another "asterisk." It is OK to cheer for a freind's rival team just to piss them off. Agreed.

Gilby- I, too, had to defend my choice to cheer for MN teams in EC. Hey, they are 80 miles away! Kind of like people in Southern Illinois cheer for the St. Louis teams, not the Chicago teams. You're right about kids (these days) too. They tend to like "players" over teams, so they gravitate towards teams with superstars. One of my freinds at THE CHECK - The Pantless Wonder - has a son who likes the SD Chargers because of LT and is a Yankee fan. I'm not sure if there is anything a parent can do except for a good spanking every now and then. Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

As a die-hard Detroit sports fan, I see the exact opposite in the NHL when it comes to bandwagon fans. People at The Pub could not gush anymore about the Penguins & Sidney. Of course all of these people were wearing their Wild jersey about 30 days ago. I just laugh and ask them to slide over in order to make room on the bandwagon.
One good thing about being a Detroit sports fan. You don't see a whole lot of bandwagon jumpers. Unless they're jumping of buildings after another brilliant Kitna quote.

Dools

Anonymous said...

One more about college sports. I live for Nebraska football. I never lived in the state, the closest I ever lived was Maple Grove, MN. However, Bonst (Mom) was born in Pawnee City, NE (hometown of Larry the Cable Guy) and grew up in mighty Tecumseh, NE. My Grandpa had a Nebraska Cornhusker toilet seat. I think that might explain my affinity for Husker athletics!

Jeff said...

dools - there is no question the latest bandwagon NHL team is the Penguins. It will be interesting to see what happens to those "fans" after they lose this series and Houssa leaves via free-agency. I still think the Penguins will be good, but not Stanley Cup finals good.

Anonymous said...

If I lived in Brooklyn Park, I guess I would root for the Yankees too. Anything to improve my self esteem.

Jeff said...

Good point, Free. Good point.

Unknown said...

Ok, so Jeff, am I "that Boston guy" for you? LOL

I was never a Pats fan until Bill Parcells came on board. I can say it. Hell they were one step away from becoming the Hartford, CT Patriots. How fucked up would that have been?

One bandwagon I have been on for about 15 years is the Red Wings bandwagon. I have always loved the way Yzerman played and carried himself. Throw in Federov in his prime and Nick Lidstrom...game one.

Greatest moment? Darren McCarty demolishing Claude Lemieux. I can watch this video all day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7oh315Rb0

Jeff said...

Phil - you are one of the lucky ones. Being a New Englander, you can feel good about cheering for the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics with no worry about being a Bandwagon guy. You have the birthright.

I really don't know how I would respond if the Vikings, Twins and Wolves all won multiple championships in a 5-year period (like the Boston teams have). I would probably stock up on water and canned goods and wait for the Apocalypse.

Unknown said...

Well the way I see it, it took that Sox 86 years, the Pats 41 years and the C's were dead last and STILL didn't get the #1 pick. Thank God they didn't, who would you rather have...Kevin Garnett or Greg Oden?

Of course these few years are just now starting to make up for a scarred childhood. Bill Buckner and Super Bowl XX were particularly damaging.

Anonymous said...

I need a college football team to jump on the bandwagon of. Since to maintain my Gopher football season tickets on the 40 yard line 18 rows up, it will cost me $750.00 for each ticket, $250.00 for the ticket and $500.00 per seat per year, for the “preferred seating. So I get to spend $1,500.00 to watch a 1 and 11 team, I think not.

Jeff said...

I don't know Uncle Rob. I have reviewed their 2008 schedule, and I think Timmy Brewster's squad has a real chance to win 3 games:

Montana State
Florida Atlantic
Northwestern (Homecoming!)

At least when they play outside in 2009, people can watch the Gophs lose on a nice fall day.

Anonymous said...

I never understood why people got/get so worked up about bandwagon fans. They don't get it. They will never feel the rush of Kirby's catch or Larkin's hit over the drawn in outfield. Too bad for them to miss out on what makes sports (like parenting) great. The patient wait for moments of brief blinding greatness.

Ronnie-San

Jeff said...

Well put, Ronnie-San. You are right on the money. It was the "suffering years" of Houston Jimenez, Ron Davis, Dave Engle, Lenny Faedo, etc. that made the two World Series all the more satisfying.

snyde043 said...

I'm totally on board with this and just emailed this post to a buddy who is a Yankees BW. One question: as a die-hard Gophers fan who suffered through the Wacker tenure while I was attending the U, can I at least claim Laurence Maroney as a reason for calling the Pats my 2nd-fave NFL team after the Vikes?

Jeff said...

Snyde043 - If you attended the U in the Wacker years, not only are you entitled to call the Pats your 2nd favorite team due to Maroney, you may be entitled to call them your absolute favorite team.

I have to check this out. There may be a "Wacker Years Clause" that entitles you to cheer for any team that you would like...

snyde043 said...

That's nice to know. I doubt I could ever give up completely on the Vikes, though.

The one good thing about the Wacker Era was student season tickets for football were ridiculously cheap. You could buy two season tickets for $36, so it was about the cheapest date you could imagine. :-)