Now, in 2008, the Wild have won their first Northwest Division crown and will either draw the hated Colorado Avalanche or the really-hated Calgary Flames in the first round. For the first time in their history the Wild will have home-ice advantage in the first round. As of Saturday morning, here is how the Star Tribune explains how this could shake out:
Which team will be the Wild's first-round playoff opponent?
There are only two options: Colorado (currently sixth in the Western Conference with 93 points) or Calgary (seventh, 92). Technically Dallas could be an option should it finish tied with Colorado, but the Stars almost certainly would win the tiebreaker based on goal differential through the season.
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:
If Calgary loses its regular-season finale tonight in Vancouver, the Wild will play Colorado in the first round no matter what happens in Denver on Sunday. If Calgary wins tonight, the Avalanche would need to get at least a point out of its game with the Wild on Sunday to stay at No. 6. That means a Flames victory tonight coupled with a Colorado regulation loss Sunday would pit the Flames against the Wild in the first round.
Now, there are two teams that I believe the Wild have no chance against in a 7-game series - Detroit and San Jose. After that, Calgary is the worst match-up. Folks, the Wild do not want to draw the Calgary Flames in the first round of the playoffs. They match up a hell of a lot better against Colorado. This year the Wild is 5-2 against Colorado and 3-5 against Calgary. I realize that this falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category, because Colorado has some great players too. In fact, both teams have "a Wild killer." The problem is that Calgary has two.
There is no question that Colorado's Joe Sakic has made a good living against the Wild. But if you watched nothing but Minnesota/Calgary games, you'd swear that Jerome Iginla and goalie Miikka Kiprusoff were the best two players to ever lace up skates. I realize the Wild just knocked off Calgary to seal the NW Division and did a great job shutting down Iginla during that game. Kiprusoff, however, was his normal-stellar self during the game. The Wild might have scored 7 goals in that game if Kiprusoff wasn't busy standing on his head. I don't like the prospect of playing against him in a 7-game series.
Which means they will probably draw the Flames in the first round.
One thing the Wild has going for them this year compared to last is their overall toughness. The threesome of Derek Boogaard, Todd Fedoruk and Chris Simon are the Wild's version of the Hanson Brothers.

Well, we'll know by Sunday night if it will be the Avalanche or the Flames.
Dools - what is your prognostication for the Red Wings?
Jeff
3 comments:
Thomps,
I actually believe the Sharks will win the Cup. Behind Nabokov, Thornton, ... they are the deepest team in the NHL. My heart always pulls for the Wings but I just don't see it this year. I really hope I am wrong.
Jeff,
Simon a leader? Say it ain't so! He'll see a max of 4:00 ice time a game in the playoffs. Both him and the Booger are useless this time of the year. I'd take a marginal skater over both of those ankle runners anyday.
Hey Dools - I agree that those guys are more "opponent-specific." I don't know how effective they will be (or how much they'll actually play) against Colorado. If the Wild are fortunate enough to advance and play Calgary, the Ducks, or San Jose they will need the toughness.
Post a Comment