First off, I’d like to thank Governor Tim Pawlenty for signing the Twins and Gophers stadium bills into law in 2006. I am particularly happy that he supported the Twins bill because it basically ensured the club’s existence in Minnesota for the next 30 years. I am not sure what parallel universe we passed into when Pawlenty signed these bills, but I like that place.
As I have written before, Pawlenty was staunchly anti-stadium as a Representative in the Minnesota Legislature. When he became Governor, something happened to change his opinion literally 180 degrees on the issue. Within months he went from an “absolute no” to 100% support with a sense of urgency. My guess (other than the parallel universe theory) is that somebody, somewhere met with Pawlenty and “laid the cards on the table.” Either the stadium bill was going to get done in 2006 or it wasn't going get done at all – on his watch. As we know, it got done.
Now, weeks after vetoing the transportation bill (that veto was later overturned), Pawlenty has used his line-item veto power to eliminate 52 line items and $208 from the bonding bill. The city of St. Paul was hit extra hard by these cuts. Here is what he cut from St. Paul alone:
-- Bell Museum, $24 million.
-- Como Zoo, $11 million.
-- Asian-Pacific Cultural Center, $5 million.
-- Metro State University classroom building, $5 million.
-- St. Paul-to-Chicago high-speed rail, $4 million.
-- Mississippi River shoreline protection on the Upper Landing, $3.8 million.
-- National Great River Park, $2 million.
-- Union Depot transit hub, $2 million.
The “King of the Cuts,” however, was Pawlenty’s veto of the $70 million state appropriation for the Central Corridor Light Rail, the train that was to span from St. Paul to Minneapolis along University Avenue. According to many Legislators, this $70 million cut effectively kills the Central Corridor project. That has yet to be determined. I have to admit that, at first glance, these cuts smack of revenge for the Legislature’s overturning of Pawlenty’s transportation veto.
Now, I am not going to pretend to know if Light Rail truly reduces congestion on the highways. I am not going to pretend to know if Light Rail is profitable. Personally, I like Light Rail because I like “things.” As I have stated, I like stadiums, theatres, trains etc. They make cities more “livable.” I ride the Light Rail to Twins and Vikings games, and I would certainly ride the Central Corridor line to the new Twins ballpark in 2010. Would more people stop driving their cars to work and games if the Central Corridor line existed? I don’t know. Minneapolis-St. Paul residents seem to like their cars. We live in a very expansive metropolitan area that does not lend itself to the use of public transportation very well. Is this a reason to give up on public transportation, however? The Hiawatha Line seems to be very effective, and the ridership has exceeded expectations. I don’t know.
I do know this. When it comes to politicians, there are those that “get things done,” and there are “Deal Killers.” Norm Coleman got things done. Arne Carlson got things done. Phil Krinkie is a Deal Killer. John Marty is a Deal Killer. The Taxpayer League of Minnesota are Deal Killers.
Tim Pawlenty is becoming a Deal Killer. I'm not sure if these are the types of people we want leading this state into the 21st century.
I’m just happy the stadiums got done. Now if we can just find that parallel universe again…
Peace,
Jeff
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Do you mean the parallel universe where the Tigers are 7-0 and not 0-7?
Let's hope we find that universe soon.
Ugh, it's like watching the Lions for the last 40 years.
dools - I'm not sure what is going on with the Tigers. But the last time the Twins won the World Series in 1991, they started 2-9. The Tigers will be there at the end.
Regardless of where you stand on public transit, global warming, etc, you'd have to agree that with $4.00/gallon gas around the corner a transportation system that can supports cars, buses, rail, bikes, pedestrians, ricksaws, or whatever is key to the economic and environmental health of this community.
Why can't people like T-Paw, Sen. Marty and their ilk on both sides of the aisle just try to make this place better instead of making political points?
I don't think we're going to change folks like T-Paw or Marty.
What we need to figure out how to do is get folks to elect more Arne Carlson-types and fewer T-Paw/Marty-types.
Excite your wife and write about your upcoming trip.
Free - I think you get more press by making political points.
snyde043 - amen to that. Unfortunately, it seems like only the "extremes" get elected.
Anonymous - in due time. My wife really only gets fired up for the Sasquatch posts.
Post a Comment