Monday, April 7, 2008

It's Colorado

Well, the Wild will play the Colorado Avalanche starting this Wednesday. A rematch of the 2003 series in which the Wild came back from a 3-games-to-1 deficit and beat the heavily-favored Avs in 7 games.

Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Smith, Foote. Hate 'em. In my opinion, they should still be the Quebec Nordiques. Here are my first-round prognostications for the NHL playoffs. Not that it matters, as history has shown:

WESTERN CONFERENCE (Best of 7):
Wild vs. Avalanche: Wild in 7
Red Wings vs. Predators: Red Wings in 5
Sharks vs. Flames: Sharks in 6
Ducks vs. Stars: Ducks in 6

EASTERN CONFERENCE (BEST OF 7):
Canadiens vs. Bruins: Canadians in 6
Capitals vs. Flyers: Capitals in 7
Penguins vs. Senators: Senators in 7
Devils vs. Rangers: Devils in 6

That's what I think. What do YOU think?

**Bad Karma already. Monday evening update from PioneerPress.com:

"The Wild will play the first round of the Western Conference playoffs without one of their best players. Defenseman Nick Schultz underwent an appendectomy Monday evening and will be out for at least the near future.

"We're not putting any timeframe on it," Wild general manager Doug Risebrough said. "We'll deal with it in terms of how his recovery is. It was a normal procedure."

Schultz is one of the Wild's top defensemen, a plus-9 in 81 games this season with two goals and 15 assists. He missed Sunday's regular-season finale at Colorado because he was feeling ill, and was sent to a doctor when he was unable to skate in Monday's practice. "

That's fantastic.

Jeff

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomps,

As a Wild outsider, I really like their matchup versus the (I really hate Colorado) Avalanche. Gaborik and Demitra have looked like offensive studs recently and I think half of the 'Lanche are collecting social security (in Canadian dollars, not bad right now).
As for the rest of the West:
Wings in 6 ( Safe and realistic guess)
Ducks in 6 (this series should get ugly)
Sharks in 5 (I'm pulling for the Flames in this matchup)

In the East...Who cares!! Midwest bias!

Jeff said...

Hey Dools - nothing matches the dislike that I felt for the Chicago Blackhawks back in the old North Star days.

However, I'd put Colorado behind Vancouver and Calgary in the "hatred" category these days. But let's see how I feel after this series.

I still believe the league has to put the Wild back with Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis.

Anonymous said...

It would be awesome if the returned to the old Norris. I hate the 'Lanche for old times sake. Currently, my most hated team is the Anaheim "Mighty" Ducks!

Anonymous said...

Thomps:

I'm with you on the West, but a bit different in the East. I like:

Wild in 6 (It's their time)
Wings in 4 (Even with the IR list)
Sharks in 5 (Nabokov too good)
Ducks in 5 (Too strong 4 old guys)

Le Habitat de Canadien in 7
Ovech-kids in 6
Pens in 6
Devils in 7

Wild are going to be tested without Foster and Schultz, not to mention the loss of Henry earlier in the year.

Gonna ride on the shoulders of Gabby, Rolston & PMB, but the real heroes are going to have to come from the play back on the blue line. If Hill & Numey are able to keep pace and give Burns & Johnnson a blow from time to time.

Should be great. Can't wait to get my hi-def installed tomorrow, just in time for the play-off run!

Anonymous said...

Gilby, I'm jealous. I had DTV out to the house to install the HD dish and they can't, trees are too high. Trees are coming down this week(Don't tell the tree huggers).

Ok, I'll make some East predictions.

Les Habitants in 6. Went 8-0 vs the B's this year.

Capitals in 7. I am really looking forward to watching Ovechkin in the Playoffs. Hope he doesn't pull a Datsyuk and disappear.

Penguins in 5. Hopefully Sid is completely over the high ankle sprain. Injuries will wipe out the Sens. No Alfredsson for this series.

Devils in 6. Gotta believe Brodeur will have a good series.

Power is still in the West.

Let's play hockey!!

Jeff said...

Gilby - good call on the HD right before the playoffs!

dools - take those trees down!

It's time to drop the puck...