Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Wide Stance Creates Strange Bedfellows

There is a saying that goes something like "politics creates strange bedfellows." Never before has that saying been more true than today. I opened up my newspaper to find out that the American Civil Liberties Union (that's ACLU to you and me) is defending Larry "wide stance" Craig with his disorderly conduct charge. I am sure you remember that Idaho Senator "I am not gay" Craig was accused of soliciting sex in a men's bathroom in the Minneapolis airport.

Now, the ACLU defending an unpopular figure is nothing new. They are the ultimate "Devil's Advocate." ACLU really stands for "All Criminals Love Us." (Hey, I just thought that up!). I suppose they serve a purpose, otherwise murderers, child pornographers (hey - it was THEIR computer!) and other sociopaths would go straight to the gallows without lawful representation. I just didn't expect to see them defending Republican Senator Larry Craig.

The reason that I am writing about this is the ACLU's reasoning for defending Senator Craig. According to an article that I read in today's Star Tribune, their reasoning is thus:

In an effort to help Sen. Larry Craig, the American Civil Liberties Union is arguing that people who have sex in public bathrooms have an expectation of privacy.

Now hold on. Before we go any further, I want to go on record as saying that I believe what ("What Jeff Thinks") people do in their own private bathrooms, as consenting adults, is none of my business. I am not for some gang of thugs with short haircuts and big black boots (a reference to Nazis) breaking in and throwing anyone in prison for what happens in the confines of their homes. But let's read that passage again:

In an effort to help Sen. Larry Craig, the American Civil Liberties Union is arguing that people who have sex in public bathrooms have an expectation of privacy.

Does this mean that the next time I am in a public bathroom and feel the need to have a stool (which I really try to avoid) and I hear heavy panting in the next stall, I have no right in infringe on those individuals "privacy?" I would just have to whistle and pretend nothing is going on? Am I missing something here?

Apparently, the ACLU is citing a 38-year-old Minnesota Supreme Court Case that states "people who have sex in closed stalls in public restrooms have a reasonable expectation of privacy."

Geez, this must happen a lot around here.

Since we have learned these stalls are our own little private utopia, what else can I do in the "public" bathroom in the "closed stall" and expect full privacy? Can I have "fun by myself" (nod-nod, wink-wink - you know what I'm sayin') in there? Hey - it's not hurting anyone! I expect my privacy! And if you try and turn me in I'm going to sic the ACLU on you. Ah, by the way that is completely a hypothetical situation.

What do you think of them apples?

Peace,

Jeff

3 comments:

tony8489 said...

the ACLU is like the UN. you are never at a loss of words for their actions

Anonymous said...

I kinda like the ACLU. It seems like they piss off pretty much everyone at some point or another. I've been pissed at them at various points, certainly.

I would think many Republican could even stand them on occasion. Heck, they defended Oliver North.

I actually like the fact that they defend otherwise repellent causes. They defended American Neo-nazis, not because they advocate their point of view, but because they have a right to demonstrate peacefully, just like all Americans. Seriously, it takes a lot of "sticking to your principles" for a Jewish lawyer (as some of them were in that case) to defend a group of nazis.

They've been on both sides of the religion issue, arguing on behalf of those who object to publicly funded religious displays, and for those who weren't allowed to express their religious views in an otherwise legal manner.

I admire groups that don't always do the easy or expedient thing.

(That being said, I can't stand by their defense of NAMBLA, since children were involved there.)

Jeff said...

Good points Neil. The ACLU is an easy group to "needle" because (as you mentioned) they often represent such horrific parties.

The Nazi point you bring up is interesting. The Nazis that the ACLU were defending are lucky that such a group exists - a group that basically defends their "freedom of speech" no matter how ridiculous or hateful. I wonder how the "true" Nazis back in 1930s Germany would have felt about the peoples "rights" to speak out against Hitler? I wonder if there was a "German Civil Liberties Union" that defended those objectors.

Probably not.

So, once again, we are a better society for having groups around like the ACLU.

But they sure are easy to needle.

Have a good one.