Monday, January 21, 2008

Morning Reflections

Well, now that I've slept on it, I have come to the conclusion that the Packers just had their "Falcons game." Oh, and by the way, I did not have any new Visions last night. I think that I will put that whole concept away for awhile.

What I am referring to by "Falcons game" is the 1998 NFC Championship game between the Vikings and Atlanta Falcons. I am not going to rehash all of the gory details for you other than the following:

1. The Vikings were 15-1 in 1998 and heavy favorites to go to, if not win, the Super Bowl.

2. The championship game was at home, in the Dome. The fans were going crazy and the media was obsessed with the story.

3. The other team, the Falcons, were huge underdogs after having defeated a favored team on the road the week before.

4. The Vikings had a Quarterback, Randall Cunningham, who had MVP-type numbers in 1998. He couldn't lose, right?

5. The Vikings, who played with a "run and gun" style all year, suddenly got conservative and tight.

6. The game went into overtime. Largely, in that game, because the literally perfect Gary Anderson missed HIS ONLY FIELD GOAL of the year. After he missed the entire stadium knew what what coming.

7. The heavily-favored Vikings lost in overtime to the Falcons on a Morten Anderson field goal. No Super Bowl.

That, my friends, was my Least Favorite Game (LFG) in sports history. (What made matters worse is that somebody had the audacity to print up towels before that game that read "The New Title Town" with the Vikings logo. Think about that. Whoever thought that up clearly has no understanding of Vikings history or lore.

Anyway, those 7 points above and the Packers - Giants game last night are eerily similar.

It was the Packers "Falcons Game." What are your impressions, and what is your all-time LFG?

Jeff

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My LFG probably also has to be the '98 Championship game. I'd never been so let down about a game's result before that time, nor as let down since. That one stands alone.

However, I don't think this was that kind of game from the Packer's perspective.

During and after the '98 game, I thought the Vikings were the better team. For whatever reason (coaching, choking, whatever) they just lost. It just seemed like the better team lost, and that made it hurt even more.

However, not once during last night's game did I get a sense that the Packers were the better team. The Giants outgained them by 100 yards, led them in time of possession by 40 minutes to 20 minutes, held GB to 1-10 on third downs, and their QB had more poise than the Packer's QB. (I can't believe I just wrote that.)

This was not a game GB should have won, and they were lucky it was as close as it was, unlike '98, when the Vikes were the better team (I thought) and should have won.

Anonymous said...

Although the Falcons were big underdogs I thought they were the number 2 seed. I think they went 14-2 or 13-3 that year, playing a week schedule. If my memory serves me they won a home playoff game before playing the Vikes.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Your vision is not too far off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/news/story?id=3207592


Mike

Anonymous said...

I know you're giving up on "The Vision"...
But I still think there's something to it...
Have you seen this?

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1068152&format=email

KSue

Jeff said...

Neil - I agree that back in 98 I had the impression the Vikings just kept shooting themselves in the foot (take a knee), whereas the Giants really outplayed the Pack. Although to Free's points...

Free - good points, and you are correct. They were 14-2 and won at home the week before (49ers). You are right, too, that they were known for a very soft schedule.

Dools and KSue - thanks for the information - I had not heard that about Brady. Parts of the Vision really came true. Hey, I was a B-
student in school and I am B- visionary.

tony8489 said...

nothing will ever faze packer fan. they are in a class by themselves

Anonymous said...

Tony

You are correct. Packer fans are in a class by themselves...class being the operative word.

Jeff said...

Jase - I think the time has come to start planning the Ice Fishing outing with Tito Jackson in Eau Claire.

Anonymous said...

Jeff
Anytime...let me know!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

This has nothing to do with the Packers, but I don't know your email address.

Bigfoot spotted on Mars. Check it out.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/01/23/cooper.shot.tuesday.cnn

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you get the ice fishing dealio together. Would have an interest if it doesn't conflict with the hockey schedule. BTW: I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched the debacle in GB last week. Shaking my head as the ghost of Denny Green reared its ugly head once again in a Championship moment.