Happy Friday to everyone. Here are some tidbits to chew on:
1. More proof that the Seattle Seachickens have no chance in Green Bay on Saturday. From espn.com:
SEATTLE -- Seattle Seahawks kicker Josh Brown says he'll wear heated warm-up pants in the freezing weather at Saturday's playoff game in Green Bay. Brown says he has equipped his pants with battery-powered heaters for the calves, thighs and hamstrings. Brown told KIRO Radio that no matter how low the temperature drops, his legs will be 75 degrees.
Heated pants. That's great. The temperature is supposed to dip into the 20's, you know. Brrrrrrrrr......
No word yet on whether or not Brown will also wear a heated bra.
2. J.R. Rider arrested. Again. Yes, that's right. Former Timberwolf and current moron J.R, Junior, J, Isiah Rider has been thrown in the clink for outstanding arrest warrants after Berkeley police responded to a report of a disturbance between a taxi driver and a passenger.
Boy, I'm glad that I was sitting down when I first heard that. You know, I see a bad moon rising for Junior. Trouble just seems to find him, through no fault of his own of course. This charge doesn't seem quite as bad as the time he pleaded guilty to "false imprisonment (what is that?) and battery." Maybe things are looking up!
3. The Wild are sold. Yes, my beloved Minnesota Wild were sold to Wisconsonite Craig Leipold. Leipold was the former owner of the Nashville Predators, and is highly respected in NHL circles from what I hear. He is known as a guy with "deep pockets," which means he should spend some money on talent. Geez, I hope that's what it means. He got out of Nashville because he was losing money by the truckload, even though his teams were pretty good. Hey, the only ice they have ever seen in Nashville is in their drinks - shoooot dang!
Now, I normally don't quote stuff that I read in other blogs (except for Free's, Greet Machine, etc.), but I have to bring this up. There are a few wing-nuts out there that believe Leipold bought the Wild to move them out of Minnesota. Here is what I came across in the "comments" field in Mike Russo's blog (the Wild Beat Writer)on startribune.com. This is from a "Luke Rasmussen:"
They (Nashville) cant fill an arena to save their dopey lives! They almost moved to Hamilton, ON before he (Leipold) got his sticky fingers off the team! I give the Wild two more years in Minnesota.
...Nashville CANT fill the arena, they wanted to leave. They’re not, but they wanted to.
The North Stars didn’t have a problem filling to the rafters either.
Leipold wants a team in Hamilton. He figures that a small-market club is the easiest to move. Norm Green thought so too!
This whole plan reaks. I can tell you what’s going to happen. First, the seat color at the X will change. Then, the logo becomes some neutral piece of crap that has nothing to do with Minnesota. Then on All Star Weekend 2008, Leipold will admit he’s been having an affair with his secretary, and his options are either sell or move the team. Since he just bought it, he’ll move.
Sound familiar? Get ready for deja vu."
Folks, I feel dumber just for having read that. First of all, Luke needs to put down the crack pipe. Let me get this straight. The Wild plays in what has been universally called "the best arena in the NHL." The Wild has NEVER had a game that has NOT sold out. The season-ticket waiting list is at 7500 and counting. And they are going to move, Luke? To Hamilton, Ontario? Or maybe Appleton, or Wausau!
Right.
The only reason I bring this up is that Luke is not alone in his paranoia. Some people seem generally freaked out about this. Look, Leipold is a Midwestern guy with a love for hockey. He just bought a goldmine. Everyone exhale. This is a good thing. And, hey, they just beat the Red Wings for God sakes!
That's all I have for now.
Peace,
Jeff
Friday, January 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jeff:
What is horse hockey?
I believe it was Colonel Potter in MASH that used to say "Oh, Horse hockey!" when he was mad.
As in "Oh, bullshit!"
It is not a sport, as far as I know.
Thanks for asking.
Post a Comment