Monday, August 27, 2007

RNC Welcoming Committee (or P.I.T.A.)

For those of you who may not have heard, the 2008 Republican National Convention will be held next September in St. Paul (not Minneapolis), largely at the Xcel Energy Center. I have said from Day One, when St. Paul was named as the convention site, that there will be large protests outside, largely due to the war in Iraq. Now, before I write any further I'd like to go on record as saying that America was founded on the right for people to speak their mind in public, and protest something that they do not agree with. As long as the protests do not turn violent, everything is cool. Americans have protested taxation without representation, wars (mainly Vietnam), for civil rights, etc. Some of the greatest strides in American history have been made because certain individuals or groups have taken it upon themselves to stand up to an injustice and call for change. This right to protest is one reason America is a great country. Can you imagine what would happen if people protested the government in Iran? Not so good.

The reason that I bring this up is because I just finished reading an article in the Star Tribune about a group that calls themselves the RNC Welcoming Committee. This group of self-described "anarchists and anti-authoritarians" (picture Rick from The Young Ones - see below) plans on protesting the Convention in St. Paul, and wants to let you all know a year in advance.

The group held a news conference today in Minneapolis. Spokeswoman Bea Bridges had this to say about the RNC Welcoming Committee:

...the group favors "ending capitalism, imperialism, patriarchy and all other forms of hierarchy" to be replaced with "direct, participatory democracy."

Also...

She said the group would not seek permits to demonstrate, and said efforts to restrict protesters in that way constituted repression and a "violent threat."

Right on sister! Who needs permits? Not the RNC Welcoming Committee! And, hey, that's a lot of stuff to be against. I bet it will take upwards of a month or two to accomplish those lofty goals. Ending capitalism alone could take until the 1st of the year. Plus, I tried ending all forms of hierarchys back in college with absolutely no success. Here's some more words of wisdom from Bridges:

In discussing future tactics, she said, "Some may choose to resist state violence using pacifist tactics, while others use whatever methods they deem necessary and appropriate."

Yep. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Some people will sing, some will pray. Some will burn cop cars. All kidding aside, it is this last statement that gives me pause. After all, where is the Convention taking place? The Xcel Energy Center! The Twin Cities finally has what has been called the nicest NHL arena in the country, and it makes me worry that:

A. The protesters will harm the Xcel Energy Center! I am sure they are anti-stadium. After all, they claim to be anti-everything.

B. See A.

This is a good time to repeat my original statement. I am not against protesting, or the right to protest. I have quite a few Bob Dylan CD's in my collection so how could I be against protesting? I am not convinced, however, that all people involved with protests have "the issue" as their number one concern - or even know which issue is being protested. Out of 100% of people taking part in a protest, here is my breakdown of "reasons why they are there:"

10% - People protesting because they care deeply about the issue at hand.

15% - People trying to relive the '60's.

25% - People pissed because they missed the '60's.

40% - People who just like to burn things and break shit.

10% - People who "just happened to be in the area."

Now, I have no doubt that there will be some perfectly legitimate groups protesting this convention. Women Against Military Madness is an example. I don't think the RNC Welcoming Committee fits this "legitimate" label, however. Personally, I have no respect for groups that claim "to be against everything," This is a slap in the face to legitimate groups with experience or logical stances on issues. Therefore, I have a new name for them. My new name for the RNC Welcoming Committee is - "P.I.T.A." Or, Pains In The Ass.

Good Luck,

Jeff

18 comments:

tony8489 said...

I know a women who was a delegate to the last RNC meeting in new york. she had many unpleasant things happen to her, including a plastic bag of urine thrown at her. I have yet to see, or hear, any such event, or one like it, at a DNC event sponsored by right wing crazies. I am not talking about chicago in 68. I am talking about more recent times. fine if you don't agree with the right. but no doubt, the left has a monopoly on the crazies. how pathetic are you when you subscribe to mob rule just because you do not agree with someone else's politcal viewpoints?

Jeff said...

Note to all readers - and especially tony8489. I have been digging into this a little more, and found the web site for the RNC Welcoming Committee. You have to check this out - absolutely hilarious! Click into the links along the right hand side. And, for the love of God, watch the video. Rick from the Young Ones could have written this stuff.

http://rncwelcomingcommittee.org/

Please, please please let me know what you think. You cannot make this stuff up!

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Sorry off subject but I need to say that Mike Vick is a serious sociopath. Socially sanctioned bloodsport (hunting) is bad enough but he is a out and out budding serial killer type and needs to go away......far away. I will never watch the NFL again if he is reinstated. Fuck him and his claims of immaturity. He should have to clean up dog shit with his tongue for 12-18 months.

rant over. go back to your normal lives.

ronnie-san

Anonymous said...

Oh.....and where the hell is my "Keep Har-Mar Shitty" bumpersticker? I suppose you have kids or a job or something to blame for that?

ronnie-san

Jeff said...

Ronnie-San - I agree with you on Vick. Trying to find a sociological reason for his behavior is a waste of time. Here's my sociology - he's a bad human being. By the way - I wrote about him in my "Eddie and Mike" post a few days ago - not sure if you saw it.

On the Har-Mar bumper sticker, I just haven't had time. Plus, the language might not go over too well. How about:

Keep Har-Mar Crappy.

Keep Har-Mar Horrible.

They just don't have the same ring.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if the welcoming committee could remove The Patriarchy from their list, I kinda like being a part of that one.

tony8489 said...

far left=freaks

Anonymous said...

Tony8489, you said but no doubt, the left has a monopoly on the crazies

Uhh, I take it you've never read Freerepublic.com?

Ever heard of Posse Commitatus?

Fred Phelps and his gang of losers?

Yeah, everyone one on the far right is level-headed and serious, with well thought out and reasoned opinions.

tony8489 said...

oh please neil. when is the last time anyone has ever cared about the posse commitatus? or any of the other ones you mentioned? have they disrupted any DNC meetings? thrown bags of urine at anyone because they were not democrats? have they ever disrupted any WTO meetings? broken any windows at starbucks or mcdonalds? the far right does have kooks. but the left and the far left has a monopoly on this one, my friend. even my lefty friends are embarrassed. and it takes a lot to usually get them to agree with anything a republican says. Look neil, I don't need to surround myself with like minded political people, in fact I prefer not to, because I enjoy a good debate. what I do not enjoy is name calling, high emotions, and tantrums. this board contains many examples of what I am talking about. Just see previous posts of the names I have been called.

Anonymous said...

Tony,

I'm sorry if you took anything I said personally. It certainly wasn't meant to be taken that way. I'm sorry you've been called names, I've been called them as well.

You say you appreciate a good debate, so I would have thought you'd have gotten the point that I was merely attempting to show that your blanket statement about the left having all the kooks was flawed. Nothing more, nothing less. You made a statement, and I disagreed. Isn't that what a debate is?

Jeff said...

There is no question that the fringes of both the left and right have wing nuts. The far right has people who aspire to blow up abortion clinics, and the far left has what tony8489 describes.

That is why I guess I can't label myself as right or left, Democrat or Republican. It really depends on the issue.

That's why I like moderate politicians like Arne Carlson! (Plus he was pro-stadium).

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Jeff

tony8489 said...

apologies neil. I meant to refer to the far left

Anonymous said...

Tony8489,

no worries, amigo.

Anonymous said...

I am just glad you got the spelling error in the title line taken care of.
I feel sorry for you.

-Roger

Anonymous said...

good lord, 24689. The pomp and the weeniedom.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps another good name for their group might be PAVE (People Against Virtually Everything)?

Jeff said...

Gilby - PAVE. I love that name and it's quite appropriate. Hey, I was going to ask you - did you end up attending that Memorial reunion?

Jeff

Anonymous said...

organized it and your blog was a topic of conversation throughout the night. much fun and hope you can attend next year!