Wednesday, August 8, 2007

756*


It happened last night at 10:50 PM Central time, well after this 40 year-old was asleep. Somebody on the Washington Nationals named Mike Bacsik threw a 84 mile per hour fastball to Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants that ended up traveling 435 feet over the right-center field wall. It marked the 756th time in Bonds career that he has hit a Home Run, which happens to signify that Bonds now holds the All-Time Home Run record in Major League Baseball.

Hooray.

I am very conflicted about this. On one hand, there is almost no question that Barry used steroids to bulk up during his career, which had to have a positive effect on his ability to hit the long ball. On the other hand, even if he was juiced up, Barry still had to hit the ball. Back in The Day when I played baseball, I was "all field, no hit." You could have pumped me full of steroids until I looked like Lou Ferrigno and I still would have hit .200. I have no doubt that Barry Bonds would have been a Hall of Fame baseball player without the steroids, I just don't know if he would have hit 756 Home Runs.

And then there is the character issue. The man whose record Bonds surpassed, Hammerin' Hank Aaron, played with dignity and class. Before Aaron, Babe Ruth held the Home Run record. The Babe also played with dignity, along with copious amounts of bourbon and hot dogs. But it was all "on the level." Barry Bonds is considered by many to be the world's biggest jack-ass. I simply don't have the time or the space to devote to the stories that I have heard about Bonds being a first-class pig to players, fans, & media alike. Not that all great athletes were model citizens. From what I have read about Ty Cobb, he sounded like Satan in human form.

So this is what it has come to. An ass-hole who allegedly used performance-enhancing drugs has broken one of the most revered and beloved records in baseball history. Maybe Bonds is a perfect metaphor for Our Times. Rarely does anything happen anymore that is not ultra-controversial, over-analyzed and dissected by the media. Maybe Bonds breaking that record is perfect. I don't know.

For the longest time, I thought that Hank Aaron's record of 755 Home Runs would never be surpassed. Now, I don't think Bond's record will stand. If he remains healthy, I believe Alex Rodriguez will own the record in a decade. The one record that I do not believe will ever be surpassed is Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak. Beating that one would be tough, even with performance-enhancing drugs.

What do you think? Does Bond's breaking the Home Run record bother you or is it much-ado about nothing? Let me know.

Peace,

Jeff

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff

The inevitable nightmare!

As you know, my Dad knew Hank Aaron personally from his playing days at Carson Park with the Eau Claire Braves. I remember him talking about what a soft-spoken, kind and down to earth guy he was.

It saddens me that this horse's ass broke his record, but such is life. It will be interesting to see how history judges him when and if the truth comes out.

In my estimation this guy is just as bad as Pete Rose...but as always, I could be wrong.

Cheers

Jeff said...

Hey Jase - I remember you telling me about your dad knowing Aaron. My dad played some semi-pro baseball in Eau Claire in the 1950's and got a chance to play against him once, which is pretty cool.

I agree with you that Bonds breaking the record just makes me kind of sad. I'm glad Bonds was not on the Twins - I don't think I could have cheered for him.

Jeff

tony8489 said...

read "game of shadows". that is all you need to know about this clown.

Anonymous said...

Jeff

I knew your Dad played ball, but I didn't know he had played against him!

Wow...

My Dad just drank beer with him.

tony8489 said...

my dad mowed the lawn wearing black socks, drank hamms, and tossed the politically incorrect jarts in 1976 on grant ave in eau claire

Anonymous said...

Tony

Hamm's...the beer refreshing...HAMM'S

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Tony

By the way...I ran into the REAL Don Racanelli this past weekend at Ray's and he asked for the Blog address, so we might just be hearing from him?

tony8489 said...

roc lives-that is pretty strong

Jeff said...

You mean Don Racanelli, or Ron Dacanelli? Or Elli Dacaronny?

Anonymous said...

Jeff

That's the one - or three?