Wednesday, August 1, 2007

35-W Bridge Collapse

Well, I literally just finished writing my prior post of all-important sports nuggets (still worth reading!) and the phone rang. Our friend Kim was calling from Duluth and asked "have you seen the news?" My first thought, in our post 9-11 world, was "terrorist attack." The news, however, was nearly as bad and just as bizarre.

The 35-W bridge over the Mississippi River had just collapsed during rush hour, sending cars plunging into the river. I, of course, starting dialing everyone I knew in Minneapolis that might have taken that way home from work. Phone service was literally shut down due to the scores of people that had the same idea that I did. Luckily, and thank God, I found out eventually that everyone I called is OK.

At this point, 9:15 PM, there are reports of dozens of cars in the Mississippi River, rescue squads looking for survivors, and three are confirmed dead. Who knows how many more there will be?

This is one of those bizarre moments in life that "aren't supposed to happen in your town." Across the country and on CNN, maybe, but 5 miles away? Obviously, this will have the largest effect on the victims and their families and friends. In addition, this will have a profound effect on transit in Minneapolis for years.

Unbelievable.

Jeff

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to know that you were not going to the Twins game tonite. Despite all the drama surrounding the bridge I thought you would have something to say about it causing a delay in the new stadium groundbreaking.

Good to know you and the family are safe. Have you heard from Tracy?

ronnie-san

Jeff said...

Hey Ronnie - thanks for the note. I haven't heard specifically from Tracy or AL, but I assume they were home in Stillwater when this happened.

The odd thing about the stadium groundbreaking is that I was not going to be able to attend because of an out of town work function. Now, I guess, I will be able to attend when it is rescheduled. This is not the reason I hoped it would be rescheduled, however. Talk to you soon.

Jeff

tony8489 said...

it was the joos

Anonymous said...

It is amazing, I've heard people from Hong Kong, Europse and all over the WORLD calling people here and talking about it. Still this morning ,it really seems they are covering this like crazy. CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC, all channels are covering this with live coverage, the actual video showing the bridge fall down and it seems just like a 9/11 day in the news world. Shocking and amazing all over the world

Anonymous said...

you knew it was going to happen. read coleman today. blame the twins, and of course, the republicans

Anonymous said...

God bless all the Heroes-there were plenty. Victims may yet be discovered and some are trying to take political advantage of this catastrophe? Sickening-shameless-discusting. What ever happened to being able to pray for unfortunate victims while praising the heroic? I am a proud Minnesotan today due to the many courageous acts I saw played out on TV last night. I am embarassed by Nick Coleman.

Anonymous said...

Jeff...Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound.

What a tragedy.

I was on the St. Croix river between Stillwater and Hudson when it happened.

Your friends from WI are praying for all Minnesotans.

Jeff said...

Hey everyone - thanks for taking the time to write the nice comments and your concern! It is true that horrible events such as this really tend to bring out the best in a lot of people.

Jeff