Thursday, August 16, 2007

The High-Flyin' NFC North

I had a vision last night of the 2007 NFC North. Some people might refer to this as a nightmare. Since I am going into THE CHECK a little later today, I thought I would reveal the details of my vision on this blog. So, here are my prognostications for the NFC North standings in 2007:

1. Chicago Bears (12-4)
The Bears are still the best team in this division and will win 12 games largely because they get to play the other three teams in the North twice apiece. Great defense and special teams, but Rex is still the quarterback as far as we know. Will they win the Super Bowl this year? No. I see failure in the playoffs and much anger in the Windy City. By the way, just looking at the Chicago Bears jersey elicits anger within me. I hate them. But, enough negativity until we get to the Vikings.

2. Green Bay Packers (8-8)
Brett Favre is still a great quarterback, and the Pack has a good young defense. A.J. Hawk is going to have a great career. I see may questions surrounding the running game, however, which will put added pressure on Favre and the passing game. With that added pressure, he has been known to get rid of the ball a little too quickly to a member of the opposing team. I am still perplexed at the Pack's off season in which they did virtually nothing to upgrade the squad. My buddy Jase is still reeling from the draft.

3. Detroit Lions (7-9)
Let's not mince words here. Just the fact that they are the Detroit Lions is worth 6 losses before the season ever starts. It's like a hitter in baseball starting with two strikes before he even steps up to bat. Great receivers, good defense. Jon Kitna at QB. Enough said.

4. Minnesota Vikings (4-12)
Where do I begin? How about quarterback. Tarvarius Jackson and Brooks Bollinger. This makes me pine for the days of Sean Sailsbury. This was a very ugly part of my vision in which I found myself tossing and turning and running from Defensive linemen. Wide receivers? Average at best, even with Troy Williamson's new found eyesight. I like the running game if Adrienne Peterson can stay healthy. With the Vikes luck, however, Peterson just fell down a flight of stairs and broke his collar bone as I typed those last words.

The Vikes defense should be above average, but if they give up more than 13 points they are going to lose. No if's, and's or but's about it. Brad Childress's future was very cloudy in my vision. I also had a terrifying image of a structure collapsing! But is was not the 35W bridge, it was the Vikings future stadium! Horrifying. My vision ended, however, with the Vikes having a top-5 draft pick in 2008. The NFL Commissioner was at the podium, and he said "And with the 4th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select PUNTER................

Peace,

Jeff

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodell, "With the third pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the MN Vikings select QB Brian Brohm from the Ville."

Per NFL Draft CountDown:

"In 2006 the Vikings reached for Tarvaris Jackson in the 2nd round and this year it's going to become painfully obvious that he is not the answer so Minnesota will likely be in the market for a franchise quarterback to build around, the only question is will Brad Childress be around to admit his mistake or will a new staff be doing it for him. Brian Brohm would seem to have all the tools to be a star at the next level but there are some durability issues and many wonder if he's merely a product of the offensive system that he plays in. A big senior season could secure Brohm a spot in the Top 3."

Anonymous said...

Jeff - I think:

1. Chicago (11-5)
2. Green Bay (7-9)
3. Minnesota (6-10)
4. Detroit (4-12)

by the way - I'd take Tarvaris Jackson over Wrecks Grossman or Kitna any day.

Jeff said...

Jase - thanks for the kind words, but I believe Brooks Bollinger will be the QB by week 4. That's scary. I hope I'm wrong.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Jeff - maybe they should pick up John Stocco - hometown kid.

tony8489 said...

vikes are in trouble. action jackson will make us pine for the days of gino torreta, or chad may

Jeff said...

Jase - Stocco would be an upgrade!

Anonymous said...

Bears 10-6
Vikes 6-10
Lions 6-10
Pack 5-11

Anonymous said...

A little premature Vikings optimism here:

http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2007/08/his-name-is-not-adrian-peterson-his.html