Friday, October 2, 2009

An Ode To The Dome. Sort Of.

I will be in attendance at the last baseball game at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome on Sunday. I almost feel that I have to be there. I figure that I've seen well over 100 games in the place since 1982. I remember watching the first official game against Seattle on TV as a 9th-grader, thinking that the Dome was the absolute coolest place I had ever seen. It took about two years of watching balls get lost in the roof and bounce around like ping pong balls on fake turf to realize that the Dome may NOT be the coolest place I had ever seen.

The game of baseball never seemed quite real in the Dome. I remember a game against Chicago in 1984 in which the Twins won because a ball bounced OVER Harold Baines' head for inside the park 3-run home run. Dave Kingman, of course, hit a ball through one of the holes in the roof that never came down - ground rule double. David Ortiz hit what would have been a 500-foot home run but it hit a speaker and bounced down for a single. Just last week, Jase and I attended a Twins-Tigers game at the Dome and the Twins won only because a Detroit outfielder lost a ball in the roof in the 8th inning. I was conflicted over that. I actually lived in fear in 1987 and 1991 that a World Series game, or the Series itself, would be decided by a ball getting lost in the Dome roof. Thankfully, it never happened.

And then there is the baggy. The right field fence actually looks like a huge lawn or leaf bag. I hate that. I guess they couldn't put up a real fence because of the vampire-seats that needed to be pulled down for football every so often. When a ball hit off of that wall, it didn't seem real. Near that fake baggy was a sort of tunnel that was used to house crap. Batting cage nets, four wheelers that TC the Bear rides on the field, etc. They used to have a giant blow-up Land O' Lakes milk bottle in there. I hated that. But nothing was as bad as the sign they used to post that proclaimed - "The Metrodome. We Like It Here."

No we don't.

That would be like me putting a sign on top of my old '79 Chevy Chevette that read - "My Chevette - I like this shitty car."


With that said, I had some fun times in that place. After all, the Twins won two World Championships in the Dome. I never attended any of those games, but I will cherish the experience of those championship runs in 1987 and 1991 my whole life. I will never forget the spontaneous gathering at the Dome when the Twins returned to town after beating Detroit to win the American League crown in 1987. The Twins were brought into the Dome and were expecting about 10,000 fans to show up. Instead, 50,000 people showed up to cheer the Twins. Gary Gaetti and his wife cried (see picture - nice hair). My roommates and I watched this unfold on TV at our house in Eau Claire because we were attending the University of Leinenkugels at the time. I think I may have shed a tear on that night (beer-influenced, no doubt).

All three of my kids attended their first MLB baseball game at the Metrodome. I saw Cal Ripkin's 3000th hit with my oldest son (then 5 years old) at the Dome. I attended Kent Hrbek and Kirby Puckett's retirement shin-digs at the Dome. And, sadly, I attended Kirby Puckett's public funeral at the Dome. I must say that have had some great times with countless friends and my family in that place. I attended a game once in the 80's with Pedo, Jim and Cubby at the Dome and almost got interviewed on WCCO radio while sitting in the crowd. Unfortunately, the reporter spent too much time with Cubby while he explained that he was attending the game while in town from "Anchorage, Alaska."

That is why I feel I need to be there on Sunday. With my kids. Even though the Metrodome was a big, puffy piece of crap, what took place in there was a big part of my life. Fortunately, it is time to open up a new chapter of my baseball viewing life next year at Target Field - an actual "ballpark." It will be the third "home" stadium in which I've been lucky enough to attend Twins games (The Met, Dome and Target Field). I have to admit that I'll kind of miss the Metrodome, though.

Kind of like I sort of miss that old piece of shit Chevy Chevette.

Jeff

10 comments:

Freealonzo said...

When you're using the facilities at the game Sunday do me a favor and miss the trough and piss on the floor. That's what I think of the metrodome.

Jeff said...

Free - I will do that. Wouldn't be the first time...

Freealonzo said...

I am sure you will write it up but Wilco?

Where were your seats? I made it Row A in section 217. Awesome show.

Jeff said...

I am going to write something up when I have a chance - busy day today! It was a great show - 2 hours and 45 min. of rock and roll. We were standing on the main floor in the middle section so we had a great view of the whole band.

It was my oldest son's first concert - he just turned 14.

dave m said...

Great first show for the boy!

That was fun. Impossible Germany is now my favorite song to see live by anybody.

Jeff, my roommates and I drove up from Mankato to that welcome celebration in 1987. That was something. I feel like I should remember more than I do about it, but for some reason it is rather spotty. Hmm. I need to work that out.

Jeff said...

Dave - Impossible Germany was fantastic live. I've always enjoyed "Theologians" live, too, which I was glad they played during the encore. Where were you guys during the show?

dave m said...

Jeff,

We were towards the back right. We were up a little closer for the first 1/3 of the show, but moved back after awhile. We ended up right by those dorks from that Extreme Home Makeover show. I would never have guessed that Ty Pennington was a big Wilco fan. He knew the words to all the songs.

Anonymous said...

Good memory on the Anchorage, Alaska call. I found myself getting sentimental this afternoon as well. I too have good memories cruisin EC in the Chevy Chevette. I guess its how you make the memories, not where. Pedo

Jeff said...

That was a good time, Pedo. Back then, I don't think we realized the the Dome was that bad because it was "pre-Camden Yards." Once that place was built, people started to realize what a ballpark should look like.

Was that the game we kept yelling at a reliever in the bullen (Len Whitehouse, I believe) to give us a ball? He kept shrugging like "I can't really give you a bullpen ball..."

Freealonzo said...

Click my name for my Wilco review plus a video of Impossible Germany.

Leave a comment if you wish