Saturday, April 4, 2009

3rd Annual Blog Baseball Predictions

It's that wonderful time of year once again - the beginning of the baseball season. Opening Day for the Twins is Monday against Seattle. The approach of Opening Day means it is also time for the 3rd Annual What Jeff Thinks baseball predictions. I usually just predict the American League Central outcome and some other little tidbits about the upcoming season. Here are my 2007 predictions and here are my 2008 predictions. Here is how I thought the AL Central would shake out in 2008, compared to how it actually fared:

2008 Prediction:
1. Detroit: 98-64
2. Cleveland: 92-70
3. (Hated) Chicago: 86-76
4. Minnesota: 74-88
5. Kansas City: 71-91

2008 Actual:
1. (Hated) Chicago: 89-74
2. Minnesota: 88-75
3. Cleveland: 81-81
4. Kansas City: 75-87
5. Detroit: 74-88

Now if you notice, my predictions were, once again, way off. Especially on Detroit. But who would have guessed the Twins and Chicago would have to play a 163rd regular-season game? This is reason #456 why I don't gamble. If my baseball predictions were my golf game, I'd quadruple-bogey every hole (which is not that far off from reality - bad example). But, predicting the season is a hell of a lot of fun, so here we go again. Here are, without a doubt, the final standings to the 2009 American League Central Division:

2009 AL Central Prediction:
1. Cleveland: 92-70
2. Minnesota: 89-73
3. (Hated) Chicago: 84-78
4. Detroit: 76-86
5. Kansas City: 75-87

I have to admit that, because I am usually wrong on my predictions, this is a bit of reverse-psychology. I am hoping that my prediction of a resurgent Cleveland Indians squad actually puts the HEX on them like it did to the Detroit Tigers last year. (sorry dools). I actually think that the Indians are going to be pretty good this year and while the Twins will be very competitive, I have bad vibes about how this season is starting. Here are the things that are giving me bad vibes:

A. Joe Mauer's sacroiliac.
B. Scott Baker's shoulder.
C. Jose Mijares's fat.

Here are a couple of other predictions for the year - the New York Yankees, despite their $600 gazillion-dollar payroll, will NOT make the playoffs. The Chicago Cubs will once again win their division but lose in the first round of the playoffs. I also think Tampa will fall back to the pack after their amazing year last year. Once again, my surprise team will be the Cleveland Indians.

One thing is for sure - this will be the Twins last year inside the Dome. Amen to that.

What are your predictions for the 2009 MLB campaign?

Jeff

9 comments:

Freealonzo said...

I think you're pretty close. I would flip Detroit and Chicago

tony8489 said...

twins win division. I agree with you on the yanks prediction. this is the year the cubs win it all

Jeff said...

Free - I think this whole division is a toss-up. Even Kansas City is much improved.

tony - The Cubs winning the world series, much like the Vikings winning the super bowl, is a sign of the End Times. I hope that doesn't happen.

jase said...

Jeff

Why does Cleveland only play 152 games this year?

Jeff said...

Jase - I understood that there would be no math.

I guess I'll change that. Thanks!

dave m said...

I think the Twins win 95 games.

Best starting pitching in baseball. We have 5 guys who would be a 2 or 3 starter on almost any other team. Slowey is already lights out for this team. Good starting pitching makes a shaky looking bullpen better if they are mostly rested. Mijares will be back by July and less fat one would think.

The addition of Joe Crede and the improvement of Jason Kubel will offset the fact that Span and Casilla will not be as good as they were last year.

Delmon Young will be better than anyone is expecting.

Gardy is still one of the best in the business.

I have high hopes for this year (and a lock on 7 very home plate vicinity seats for next year-woo hoo).

Jeff said...

Dave - I hope that you are correct in your prognostications.

And please remember your friend Jeff when it comes to those very home plate vicinity seats next year.

Uncle Rob said...

You know I’m a Twins fan, and that the season has already started with the Twins in first place at 2 & 1, but here is my prediction; they will finish in first with between 92 and 95 wins. Having said that I think they could have 100+ wins if they changed the pitching rotation. They should have the set-up guys pitch the first inning or two and then turn it over to a “starter” to take to the ninth for Joe, it seems the Twins’ starters have the “Radke” curse and give up early inning runs, especially via the long ball.

Jeff said...

Unfortunately, Uncle Rob, our set-up guys would probably put us in a 5-run hole before we bat.

Interesting thought though.