Sunday, March 29, 2009

And A Few Other Things....

Some Sunday afternoon thoughts....

1. Jeff George Seeks Comeback With Vikings. Remember Jeff George? George rallied the Minnesota Vikings to an 8-2 finish after replacing the injured Randall Cunningham at quarterback.................in 1999. He is seeking a comeback with the Vikings in.............2009. Jeff George, by the way, is now 41 years old. Here's a quote from the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

"I don't care about my age. I can still do the same things I did when I was 25. I'm so used to throwing against five, six, seven DBs. With Peterson, it's about the running game. Play-action passes will give you all the time to throw.

Then you're one-on-one with (Bernard) Berrian and (Sidney) Rice on the sidelines. How easy is that?"

Yes - just ask Tarvaris Jackson how easy that is. There's more. Jeff George claims he would have led the Vikings to a - get this - Super Bowl championship. Here's another quote from the Pioneer Press:

"There's no doubt about it," George said in an interview with the Pioneer Press on Friday afternoon. "Because of the type of defensive personnel they have, and when you have an Adrian Peterson ... you line him up with a veteran quarterback, who knows where to go with the ball, it's an unstoppable combination."

In a story posted earlier Friday, George told Yahoo.com that, if he were playing for the Vikings, "I guarantee I'd be wearing a ring right now."

Now, for those of you who don't remember Jeff George, he has never suffered from low self-esteem. He was the best quarterback that he ever met. This last quote, by the way, proves George is still delusional because anybody who has been paying attention knows it is cosmically impossible for the Vikings to win a Super Bowl. If Superman played Quarterback for the Vikings they'd finish 9-7 and lose in the first round of the playoffs - and Superman can fly!

I have to admit, however, that I am slightly jealous of Jeff George. It must be nice to have such a glorious (however delusional) self-image. It must be a nice way to go through life.

2. Twins Ballpark Construction Update. For those of you who have had a chance to drive by Target Field, the new ballpark for the Twins, you've probably noticed that it is really starting to take shape. For those of you who haven't had that opportunity, here is an excellent construction video that was posted on the Ballpark Authority web site. There are some pretty cool images and interesting discussion on the progress of the ballpark.

3. Tales From Schnoid-town (Sheboygan, WI). 3 DWI's in 3 days. Now, folks, I realize that DWI's are a very serious matter and I am not bringing this up to make light of the situation. I am simply amazed by this story. Check this out:

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - A Washington woman arrested for drunken driving three times in three days while vacationing in Wisconsin has been sentenced to a month in jail.

Jo A. Trilling, 60, of Spokane, Wash., was arrested first at 2 p.m. March 11, 2008. A Sheboygan County Sheriff's Department deputy saw her try to drive out of a ditch near the Kohler-Andrae State Park entrance.

She wore only one shoe and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.21, authorities said. The legal driving limit is .08.

Twenty-four hours later, Trilling was arrested after her car got stuck in snow in a park campground that was closed for the winter. Trilling told an officer she had had four or six cups of wine.

Trilling spent 12 hours in jail. She was released and headed west to Cottage Grove in Dane County. She was arrested there a short time later after someone reported her driving "all over the road," according to a police report.

An officer found a partial bottle of wine in her car. She had a blood alcohol-level of 0.16. Court records released Wednesday show Trilling was sentenced last week to 30 days in jail and fined more than $3,000.

Here is the kicker. When stopped by police the second time, here is what the woman allegedly had to say to the police:

"I am still finishing up the box of wine in my car from yesterday," authorities reported she told the officer."

Yep - just finishing up that box of wine from yesterday that I happen to keep right here in the glove compartment! Doesn't everyone? There must be a way to have the tap stick out the key hole for easy pouring. I think what we have here is a "failure to understand the gravity of the situation." Very frightening.

4. Wild Playoff Chances Dwindling. With last night's loss to hated Calgary, the Wild's playoff chances are nearly gone. The proverbial Fat Lady ain't singing yet, but she's walking up to the microphone. A best-case playoff scenario for the Wild seems to be 8th seed and a series against the Detroit Red Wings. Great. It looks like the Wild players can get those golf clubs ready a little early this year.

Jeff

8 comments:

tony8489 said...

I must admit I have always been fascinated somewhat by jeff george. when he was our quarterback, he did some pretty amazing things. obviously it is not his talent that has kept him off the field for so long. I hope you are satisfied with your new stadium. as I was watching that video, I could not help but think of all the hungry kids that could have been fed, and all the homeless people that could have been housed as a result of obamas depression. the money that the taxpayers are using should be going to pay for the poor. what a waste of money, for god's sake. where are our priorities, for god's sake.

Jeff said...

tony - the amazing thing is that between the two local papers, I probably see a letter to the editor that reads almost 100% like your comment. Except for the Jeff George part, of course.

I am going to predict that there will once again be protesters on opening day at Target Field next year. Like Don Quixote on his "steed," they never go away....

Freealonzo said...

I think it's kinda cute that there are still some conservatives out there fighting the good fight ignoring 8 years of failed conservative policies and thinking that everything wrong with this country happened in the last 2 months.

I thought that kind of thinking was solely the domain of Dick Cheney, southern white crackers, and "black helicopter" types living in one room shacks in Wyoming (which I know also describes Dick Cheney).

Anonymous said...

and currently in charge?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

tony8489 said...

there is no doubt while the republicans were in charge, they spent like democrats, er, drunken sailers. bush never met a spending bill he did not like. the fiscal part of the bush administration was a joke. there, feel better , free? I will own up yo my parties mistakes. take the forum and impart your wisdom on why you believe in a government that is 25% bigger is better, why cap and trade will work here when it has failed in europe. explain why the mythical "stimulus package" is not fiscal insanity. even the socialist europeans see it as what it is!! fiscal suicide. multi trillion dollar deficits under this administration! the only time this country has tried keynesian economics is under FDR, and WWII saved out asses, not his economic policies, which many not only failed, but ended up prolonging the depression! the republicans made many mistakes while they were in power. all I heard for years were pelosi and reid ripping on bush for his deficits. If you are going to explain your point of view on this free, stick to the facts. let's save your hatred for republicans for another time. readers of this blog will know that last fall I predicted this: You can take a bad position and make it worse. you can pour gas on a fire. this is what is happening. oh, and someone explain this one also. all of these "economic policies" of mr obamas are predicated on one thing: that china and other countries will continue to purchase our debt. can you imagine what happens when they don't? game over. for the record, I, unlike most democrats I have met, put my country above my party. (unlike the utterly shameful actions of most democrats who actually wanted us defeated in iraq so we could get our come uppance) I want obama to succeed, really I do. but unless they have repealed the laws of economics, I am sticking to my advice I gave you last fall. buy gold, guns, the prudent bear fund (BEARX), powdered milk, and figure out a way to live off the grid.

Freealonzo said...

Some fair points and I'm not going to use Jeff's blog to have a political argument but there is one thing I do want to point out.

Lots of conservatives say that FDR's policies didn't really work and it was only WWII that pulled us out of the Great Depression.

I get that but what does it really mean? What was it about WWII that pulled us out of the depression? Was it the fact that millions of people were being killed or that we were fighting the good fight against facism?

No the reason why WWII pulled us out of the depression was because war mean massive government spending! Just because we were spending $$$ on tanks and guns and ships and planes doesn't take away the fact that the government was spending a ton of dough and debt as part of GNP was off the charts.

WWII ending the Great Depression is the ultimate proof that Keynsian economics works.

Oh one other thing. I don't think it's fair to say that liberals wanted the U.S. to lose in Iraq. Sure there were a freak or two who may have said that, put to paint a whole group of people based on the rantings of a lunatic doesn't make for a good argument. What if I said that conservatives support terrorism just because Bill O'Reilly said that he hoped terrorists nuked San Francisco and got rid of a bunch of Pelosi liberals?

tony8489 said...

free-I think I found something that maybe we can agree on. was it not the marshall plan that really pulled this country out of its economic tailspin? europe was in ashes, and we lent them the money, we took the economy off its war footing, retooled the industrial base, and supplied war-torn europe with the raw materials and good they needed to rebuild?

Freealonzo said...

I sense a trap here :o) but yes that is part of what happened.