From a story in Friday's StarTribune:
Two hot-button issues at the State Capitol -- gambling and a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings -- came together Thursday in new legislation that proposed using revenue from a new Twin Cities metro casino to build the much-discussed stadium.
Saying his constituents were adamant about not wanting the Vikings to leave Minnesota, Rep. Tom Hackbarth, R-Cedar, said his plan would propose a constitutional amendment, asking voters in 2010 whether revenues from a new casino should be used to finance a new stadium.
"Let's let the voters decide," said Hackbarth, who acknowledged he had not spoken to the Vikings and had floated a similar proposal five years ago that gained little political traction. "I think this is a perfect solution" because there would not be a general tax increase, he said.
I have as much chance at being elected Pope as this idea becoming reality. (I'm Lutheran, you see. Thus, the irony). We've been down this road before. Building a Twins stadium with gambling money was tossed around the capital and eventually defeated. The problem with this idea is that both sides of the political aisle are dead-set against it.
On The Right, many conservative Republicans are against using gambling funds being used for a stadium because gambling is sinful, evil and we'd all end up in hell. The would be what The Right calls "an expansion of gambling." More evil. You see, a person has to look really hard to find gambling in Minnesota. It's not like there are casinos located in the four corners of the state, and lottery and scratch-off tickets are available in all gas stations. Oh wait - there ARE casinos located in the four corners of the state, and lottery and scratch-off tickets ARE available in all gas stations. Hmmmmm.
On The Left, many Democrats oppose gambling funds being used for a stadium because a privately owned casino would compete against the many Native American casinos and (no question) put them out of business. You see, Native American casino = GOOD, Private Casino = BAD. Why? Because the Native American lobby is a huge financial contributor to the DFL party in Minnesota, and that kills any chance of a Democratic politician voting for this type of bill. (by the way - I am not trying to come across as racist with these these statements. I simply believe casinos are either bad for everybody or good for everybody - not just certain segments of society. Just like everything else.) Voting against one of your biggest financial contributors is not a politically sound move. When this is brought up, I have heard a lot of DFL responses such as "well......um, no.......I.......simply couldn't vote for......EXPANSION OF GAMBLING!"
Now, oddly enough, even the Vikings themselves are cool to the proposed deal calling for the use of gambling funds. Vikings lobbyist and spokesman Lester Bagley, who is not known for turning down any offer of money (except from Anoka County), had this to say: "We're not advocating for a gaming situation," said Lester Bagley, a spokesman for the Vikings, who have been searching unsuccessfully for a way to kick-start debate on a stadium at the Legislature. "[But] if that's what the state leaders want to use," Bagley added, "then let's sit down. At least someone is thinking creatively."
The one entity that might actually accept this stadium funding option, however, is the Minnesota public. Countless polls have shown that using gambling funds to build stadiums tends to be more popular with the public than the use of tax money. If Representative Hackbarth's bill was put to a vote in 2010, it would be interesting to see what the result would be. Particularly if the Vikings were assured of moving to Los Angeles if the vote failed.
Now, I must say that I can't stand gambling myself. I find casinos depressing, and gambling (to me) is like burning money. It has the same effect. I also have to admit that building a stadium by using gambling funds seems a little smarmy to me. It reeks of Bad Karma. Geez, I'd hate to ruin the Good Karma that the Vikings currently are experiencing! So, I guess my only point to this entire post is that Hackbarth's plan has no chance.
Unless it's actually put to a vote on the ballot.......
Jeff
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
this thing has no chance. now. let's take a moment of silence and bow our heads at the passing of bud's wife last week.
Sid devoted a column to Bud's wife last week. It sounds like she was a great lady.
I don't know Jeff. A stadium without taxpayer $$$ is pretty enticing. I understand the DFLers aversion to another casino competing with American Indians but these are challenging financial times, I wouldn't say it's impossible.
Also click on my name, I am posting some treats today (Tuesday)
Post a Comment