Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sight Is A Good Thing

I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old. That's a long time considering Old Man Thompson is now 42 years old. In fact, the last picture of me WITHOUT glasses is the one that you see to the left of this post. It's a damn good thing that I am such a handsome devil in glasses since I have had them for so long. No question. I've always had fairly bad nearsighted vision, and an astigmatism. Those of you who grew up with me know that I have broken dozens of pairs of glasses throughout time while playing sports. This used to drive my mom to the brink of insanity because I always needed a costly replacement pair immediately so I wouldn't be rendered blind.

Even if I wasn't breaking glasses, I would still need a new pair of glasses with a stronger prescription every so often because my eyes got weaker with age, Nothing odd there. This continued over the years and I never thought much about it. Then, in my late 30's, my vision started to change in a different way. I was very sensitive to light, especially sunlight. My vision would blur and I'd often see "double" when looking at the text on road signs and such. I chalked this up to old age. The problem, however, was that new glasses were not correcting the problem. I'd get new glasses, and the problems would persist, which really sucked. I'd blame the Optometrists for being incompetent and try and find a second opinion. This continued until I was referred to Kennedy Eye Associates in Roseville, MN by a co-worker at THE CHECK.

Now, those of you that know me realize that I am petrified of doctors of any kind. Medical, Dental and Optometrists. Petrified. You see, when Jeff Thompson goes to visit any of these individuals, I find out something that I didn't know about myself (see "cholesterol").

The day I went to Kennedy Eye Associates in Roseville, MN, half-expected to get another bunk prescription, and half-expected to find out that I have a disease that will cause my eyes to explode. After a vision test that revealed my vision sucked, the doctor shined a flashlight in my eyes and declared "something is not right here." I was then put me through every test imaginable (including some space-age contraption that was devised in Ireland, of all places). You can imagine my mental state at this time. I thought we were leaning towards the "eyes will soon explode" determination. After a few minutes, which seemed like a decade, the doctor returned to the office and declared:

"You have Keratoconus."

OK - what? What the hell is Keratoconus, and when will my eyes explode? This was certainly not helping with my fear of doctors. Well, it turns out that Keratoconus is is a vision disorder that occurs when the normally round cornea becomes thin and irregular (cone) shaped. This abnormal shape prevents the light entering the eye from being focused correctly on the retina and causes distortion of vision. Here is a link to a web site that describes the malady and has a good video with images of what sight with Keratoconus is like. (Mine is not quite as bad as the video, by the way). The doctor that this this has affected both of my eyes for the last 10 years. I also found out that the best way to treat a person with Keratoconus is with special gas-permeable, hard contact lenses. These contact lenses help re-shape the eye to is normal position, and allow the patient to see.

Well, to make a long story tedious, after a few more trips to the eye doctor, it was determined that the best course of action for me, Old Man Thompson, would be to first place soft contact lenses in each eye for comfort and a hard contact lens over the soft for vision. Two contacts in each eye for a guy who has never wore a contact before. I have to admit that I was sort of bummed out by this news even though Keratoconus is not a terminal issue. People do not go blind from it. And, while there is not a "cure," there is relief. I allowed myself to wallow in self-pity for a few days, however. I finally decided that there are people 10 zillion times worse off then me, however, and that I should shut up.

To make a long story even more tedious, I found out that I am a quick learner when it comes to putting contact lenses in my eyes. I found out that two contact lenses in each eye can actually be quite comfortable. And most importantly, I found out that I have crystal-clear vision with the contacts. Thank the Lord! And Kennedy Eye Associates in Roseville, MN, of course. I am like a kid in the candy store with these things. Giddy. I am seeing things that I never saw before - it's absolutely unreal. (quick side note - I found out that one of the soft contact lenses had a rip in it and has to be special-ordered. So, right now, I'm wearing my bullshit glasses that provide crappy vision for me. Oh well, 3 to 5 business days and they'll be back in).

So, I guess that I am lucky. A few decades back, this technology would not have existed and I would have simply suffered with bad vision. And, on top of it all, I look even more like Brad Pitt when I have my contacts in (no question). Yep, I'm really lucky.

But I still hate going to doctors, dentists and optometrists.

Peace and good sight.

Jeff

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you never answered the question. When are your eyes gonna explode?

Jeff said...

Free - I am guessing Opening Night at Target Field.

snyde043 said...

I started wearing glasses in third grade.

Fortunately, I've only had to deal with simple nearsightedness and my Rx hasn't changed much so I've been able to get away with wearing the same pair of glasses for several years now. I will have to get new ones at some point just because the frames are so battered and lenses are so scratched up.

Jeff said...

snyder - that's pretty good considering that you've had glasses since 3rd grade. I remember being only one of a few kids back then (mid-70's) with glasses. Not good for playing sports. I should have got a pair of those Kareem-Abdul Jabaar goggles.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, that's great that you got a good diagnosis. That's why I go to an Ophthalmologist. They are actual doctors. Nothing against Optometrists but all they know are glasses and contacts.

tony8489 said...

dude, you had abdul jabbar shades on before he did! I was always thought with your welding goggles you were going to work at the uniroyal plant on the third shift after recess. first cobtacts I ever got were the gas permeable hard lenses way back in 8th grade. got the lasik done in 2000. doctor ever discuss the lasik procedure with you? give that pig revolutionary kathy soliah a big kiss from me at your next block party!

Jeff said...

Third shift at the Uniroyal plant - that's good. I thought about Lasik, but it turns out that I can't have it done because of the shape of my cornea.

Anonymous said...

Next Up-Colonoscopy!!

Ben Dover. Nice to meet you.