Sunday, January 25, 2009

OK. I'm Back.

I have returned from my week-long excursion to Massachusetts for THE CHECK. (Side note to Phil: sorry I didn't look you up - they kept us pretty busy out there). I must say that there are some great people out in our CHECK plant in Townsend, MA. We had a good time laughing at each others accent (Them - "paaaak the caaaa." Me - Min-ne-sooooooo-ta"). One of the managers in Townsend actually had me call her Massachusetts-born son and "just talk" because he loves Midwestern accents so much, probably after viewing Fargo. Overall, the trip was great, but I am glad I don't have to travel for work very often, especially when you see this image three days before you leave:

That image was on my mind a little as the plane was being de-iced before takeoff on Monday morning. I was even flying US Airways. But I digress.

One last thing about Massachusetts - Dunkin' Doughnuts is the Epicenter of the Universe. I am not kidding. Dunkin' Doughnuts is to Massachusetts what Target is to the Twin Cities. One can be found every half-block. I think the coffee sold there is as important to the people as the doughnuts themselves. (Phil - maybe you can clue me in on the reason for this phenomenon.) The Twin Cities had a few Dunkin' Doughnuts years back, but they all went out of business. Apparently, however, the franchise will make it's triumphant return to the area very soon. If one is built near THE CHECK, I could reach 300 pounds in the future.

Hey - speaking of coffee - did you see this article about a study of heavy coffee drinkers and possible hallucinating? According to the study, those individuals who drink seven or more cups of coffee a day are more prone to "hallucinating and hearing voices." I have a couple of questions:

1. What constitutes "a cup" of coffee? Is it 12 ounces? So, a Caribou or Starbucks "large" coffee may constitute "3" cups?? So, if a person has a couple of these, are they dangerously close to the "hearing voices level."

2. Does caffeine in other food and drink count? How about pop and chocolate?? Will this put a person over the edge?

Let's just say, I know plenty of people who have multiple large coffees a day, along with chocolate, pop, etc. This actually explains A LOT.

That's all for now. I have some thoughts on The World of Sports, particularly the spending patterns of the four professional Minnesota sports teams, that I will share later this week.

Peace,

Jeff


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a theory about Dunkies. I believe that a full 1/3 of all the methamphetamine manufactured in the Northeast is pumped directly into Dunkins coffee.

Rarely do I see anyone go there for donuts, but coffee flows like rain over there.

tony8489 said...

this country is fueled by caffeine and nicotine. I have one pot down by 6:30, switch to vitamin water energy (the yellow stuff)a few diet cokes, maybe one more cup of joe. all before noon. life is good

Jeff said...

tony - Any "hallucinations?" "Voices?"

tony8489 said...

I actually hallucinate the vikes winning the superbowl, and I hear our old manz school principle gordon wollum yelling at us in the lunchroom back in 1976 to sit down and shut the f..k up before we could get out for recess

Jeff said...

I had the same thing happen, but then I get horse-collared by "Lurch" during walk-around at Central.

Anonymous said...

I always like it (theoretically of course) when a plane crashes right before I go on a trip. I figure what are the odds of a second crash?

Jeff said...

Free - the thought actually crossed my mind, although I do not wish ill will on anyone. I figure all of the pilots, mechanics, etc., are extra careful after something like that.