Saturday, January 3, 2009

Marian Gaborik Opts for Season-Ending Hip Sugery So He Can Be Healthy Enough To Play For Vancouver Next Year


When a man's an empty kettle he should be on his mettle,
And yet I'm torn apart.

Just because I'm presumin' that I could be kind-a-human,
If I only had heart.

I'd be tender - I'd be gentle and awful sentimental
Regarding Love and Art.

I'd be friends with the sparrows ... and the boys who shoots the arrows
If I only had a heart...

2 comments:

snyde043 said...

Granted, I can't speak from any real position of knowledge because I don't follow hockey, but why was there such a big issue made over re-signing Gaborik when he seems to be more fragile than a blown-glass Christmas ornament?

I understand he's supposed to be talented, but what good is that if he never sees the ice?

Jeff said...

Hey Snyder - The issue "used" to be resigning Gaborik because, when healthy, he is a top-10 player in the NHL. As you stated, however, he is never healthy.

Because of this, the issue became "what can the Wild get for him." Now, because of this latest injury, the answer is - nothing. I guess the only good thing is that he did not sign the long-term $8 million a year contract the Wild offered him earlier this season.

In the NHL, a team doesn't even get a draft pick for losing a top player like Gaborik like a baseball team would.

He will be find to sign with any team now after his recovery from this latest surgery. That team is rumored to be Vancouver.