I was at my sister's house last night for our traditional "late Thompson Christmas" and received the gift of literature from her. It was a book that, surprisingly, I had never heard of entitled "In Me Own Words - The Autobiography of Bigfoot." It is written and illustrated by Graham Roumieu, whose work has appeared in the New York Times. This book, in it's entirety, can be read in about 20 minutes. And let me say, it is a pretty damn funny 20 minutes.
I was laughing so hard at parts of this book that I was tearing up. Now, I am a Sasquatch aficionado (no question), so I am apt to love any piece of work involving The Beast. I think even the Sasquatch novices out there will find it hilarious. The book is written in first-person by the legendary creature, complete with illustrations that were also created by him. He explains to the reader, among other things, why he lives in the woods, why he hates Chewbacca, details on his short-lived political career, his "lost phase" in Vegas with Koko the gorilla and explores the meaning of his dreams.
Here is an excerpt from the book, in which Bigfoot openly addresses his many stalkers (I hope he is not talking about me):
"If you going to chase, please NO spray with holy water. OK listen. I not know where all you morons come from but holy water no hurt Bigfoot. Garlic and Crucifix also no. Fire, pitchfork, silver bullet OK. Cryptonite do nothing. It not even real. Please stop sending letters asking "what you vulnerability? What Bigfoot?" Like I tell.
What next me bank account number? Why not you invest time in moving out of parent basement? Maybe have sex or something. Yes I be talking about you Steve. YOUUUUU! Stalking a crime Steve."
Fascinating. I wouldn't say this book is necessarily for young kids, as there is insight provided into Bigfoot's violent tendencies like eating people (not true!) and an episode with his friend Denis the squirrel that goes horribly wrong.
Overall, a very funny, quick read. I heavily recommend the book.
Peace.
Jeff
4 comments:
Jeff hasn't had much to think about lately, so I guess I had better go buy that book.
Just got back from a 5-day trip to Massachusetts. I have not had any time at all to blog.
Hopefully this weekend, if I have any thoughts (50/50).
Missed u at twinsfest last evening, "what jeff thinks". 432 days....
CD - unfortunately, we could not attend this year. I would have loved to see the model of the new ballpark. That must have been pretty cool.
I am going to try and attend a few games there, you know....
Post a Comment