It's that glorious time of year in which America's pastime (no, not NASCAR) takes a breather. It is time for Major League Baseball's All-Star break. It's also time to ponder the Minnesota Twins' first-half performance. As I have said, if anyone would have told me before the season that the 2008 Twins would be 53-42 and 1 1/2 games out of first place, I would have signed that person up for meth treatment. But, that is exactly where they stand.There is no question that the Twins have overachieved after losing Johan Santana, Torii Hunter and Carlos Silva (well, that might be a stretch) in the off-season. Here is a quick synopsis of what has gone RIGHT:
--Joe Mauer is healthy again and the starting catcher in the All-Star game.
--Justin Morneau has MVP numbers again.
--The young starting rotation has not only been competent, but actually good.
--Joe Nathan has been Joe Nathan. The best closer in baseball.
--The Twins have discovered a second baseman that can hit and field - Alexi Casilla.
--Brian Buscher has been an adequate fill-in at third and at the plate. This means Mike Lamb has not had to play.
--Somehow, someway, Livan Hernandez has won 9 games.
--Carlos Gomez has brought a spark to center field, the leadoff position and on the bench.
--Denard Span has proved he can play in the big leagues.
--Delmon Young has started to hit. Sort of.
Off the top of my head, those are some of the things that have gone right for the Twins. Now here are some of the issues the Twins face in the second-half if they have any hope of catching the White Sox and winning the division:
--Can Livan Hernandez continue to win games with his 83 MPH fastball and "smoke and mirrors?" I have read that Hernandez has been one of the best influences on the young pitching staff in years. But although he has 9 wins, his ERA is ballooning at 5.44. Sometimes he just gets rocked. How long can the Twins wait during the second half to bring up Fracisco Liriano (7-2, 3.53 ERA at AAA) to replace Hernandez? I love that the Twins have allowed Liriano time at AAA, but he is throwing in the mid to high 90's and appears ready.
--How long can the Twins stay with Carlos Gomez at the leadoff position in the batting lineup? Gomez has been great, and I love his attitude. But his average has fallen from .280 to .253. His OBP is only .287, which is terrible for a lead-off batter. If you remove bunts and infield singles, his average would be about .120. As mentioned, Denard Span is hitting .324 with a .429 OBP while filling in for the injured Michael Cuddyer. Can the Twins keep Span out of the lineup?
--Can the Twins find a set-up guy to pitch the 8th inning and get to Joe Nathan. This position used to be filled by Pat Neshak before he injured his elbow and was lost for the season. They have tried Jesse Crain and Matt Guerrier with some luck. Neither, however, is a true set-up guy. This may be something the Twins need to address in a trade.
--Can the Twins beat the teams ahead of them in the standings? The Twins have proven they can beat the teams behind them in the standings and the whole National League. They had a horrible series in Chicago, however, and got swept by Boston before the break. They need to prove they can beat these teams before we start talking about a Division championship.
--Can the Twins not pinch-hit Mike Lamb? That is just my throw-in. I hate it when Lamb pinch hits.
It will be an interesting second half. The American League Central will probably take 90-95 wins to clinch the division. What do you think - can they do it?
Jeff
18 comments:
I think the Twins can move up and win the division, or contend for the wildcard.
I just don't think they can win a playoff series...yet. Great core, some young players that make you take notice so watch out next year or in 2010.
liriano is the key-if he is on this division is ours
Phil - I agree with you. I also think the Red Sox are the team to beat again in the East. Tampa is a good story, but they will fade. Your main competition in the playoffs will probably come from the Anaheim Angles of Los Angeles of California.
Anonymous - I also agree with you. I think the Twins need one more starting pitcher. Liriano might be that guy....
I think they need to trade for a right handed third baseman and or that set up guy.
They might need to get rid of either Span, Young or even Cuddy, but they have a shot at being special if they can move Livon out and Liriano plays well.
Why have they not cut Boof yet?
Hey Dave - Cuddy seems to be the guy mentioned in trade rumors (in the press, at least).
Boof. Now there is a different subject. I can't tell you why he is still on the squad, other than there must not be any other alternatives. I attended a game in which I got to see Livan AND Boof pitch - 2 for 1!! Needless to say, the Twins lost that game.
Can anyone tell me why Delmon feels compelled to swing at the first pitch he sees from EVERY pitcher that throws to him? Dude drives me nuckin' futs!
Gilby - yes, I noticed that about Delmon. It gives me heartburn. He usually grounds out to second when that happens.
My pal Dan on Northeast Beat shared the following in his "Northeast is Twins Territory" group:
1987: New York Giants win the Super Bowl,
Minnesota Twins win the World Series.
1991: New York Giants win the Super Bowl,
Minnesota Twins win the World Series.
2008: New York Giants win the Super Bowl...
snyde043 - sounds like a trend to me!
Why not have Liariano be that 8th inning set up guy. Plus switch Span and Gomez in the batting order and add Beltre from Seattle and you have your Central Division champs.
Free - unless, of course, Liriano's agent doesn't want him to be the set up guy.
Who gives a shit what his agent thinks. It would be for this year only. Tell his agent to take a leap.
Twins management does not want Liriano to be a setup guy. They've said they don't want to screw up his starter routine by switching him to reliever.
However, they could bring him up for the rotation and make Perkins the 8th-inning setup guy since he has experience as a reliever.
If I remember correctly, the Twins had Liriano come out of the bullpen when he first arrived in the bigs. Eventually he was moved into the starting rotation -- didn't seem to screw him up too much. Worked with Johan Santana too!
I didn't say I agreed with that approach, but that's what they've said. Personally, I'd look to trade Livan to make room for Liriano since he has no future here and if there is an injury to a young starter, Boof wouldn't be much worse and he's cheaper, too.
Who is this free guy? He makes complete sense. I elect him king of the idiots. I bet the Twins could get Beltre for Swarzak if they took on the salary (which they can handle).
ronnie-san
King of the Idiots - I like that.
Just so you know, Free, that is high praise coming from Ronnie-San.
Seriously.
I know you are not supposed to trade within your division, but here is a trade I’d like to see.
Livan Hernandez, Boof Bonser & Mike Lamb, (paying some or all of his two year contract), to the pitching weak Detroit Tigers for Brandon Inge.
Think of the possibilities, it allows the Twins to bring up Liriano to add to their other young guns, and Inge gives them a decent third baseman, his preferred position, and another option at catcher.
While this is wishful thinking I don’t see a down side for either team.
Post a Comment