Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Oh, Jesse.......

If I was Barack Obama, the last man on Earth that I would want on my side is the Reverend Jesse Jackson. No wait, Jackson is second. The Reverend Al Sharpton is the last man on Earth that I would want on my side. The Obama campaign has done a great job keeping Jesse at bay.

Until today.

It turns out that Obama has been speaking in black churches lately about the importance and responsibility of black fathers to their children (gasp - the GALL!). Here are the details from a report on cnn.com:

In a recent Father's Day speech at a black church, Obama took absent black fathers to task, saying, "We need them to realize that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child -- it's the courage to raise one."

Amen to that. Obama is right on the money with his statement on fatherhood no matter if you are white, black, green or orange. But, I guess Jesse doesn't think so. Jesse thinks there are more "pressing issues" to deal with like "high levels of unemployment, home foreclosures and violence." By the way - many of these problems could be rectified with a better upbringing from mom and dad, as Obama was eluding to. But that is just me. More from the cnn.com story:

The Rev. Jesse Jackson apologized Wednesday for "crude and hurtful" remarks he made about Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama after an interview with a Fox News correspondent.

The remarks came Sunday as Jackson was talking to a fellow interviewee, UnitedHealth Group executive Dr. Reed V. Tuckson. An open microphone picked up Jackson whispering, "See, Barack's been talking down to black people ... I want to cut his nuts off."
Jackson told CNN's "Situation Room" that he didn't realize the microphone was on.

"It was very private," Jackson said, adding that if "any hurt or harm has been caused to his campaign, I apologize."

Obama's statement was "talking down to black people?" You know, one of Jesse's "handlers" should tell to just assume "the microphone is always on." Can you imagine some of the stuff that must come out of this guy's mouth when he is truly "not on tape?" I mean, some of the public stuff is downright crazy. Obama is literally months from becoming the nation's first black President, and you have wing-nuts like Jackson saying stuff like this. Somebody should lock Jesse in a basement until mid-November. That is what makes this Saturday Night Live cartoon so funny. Check it out - I wish I knew how to embed it from the SNL site, but that is a little too complicated for me. Here's the link:


Oh well. Jesse has apologized. Again. But, now the nation knows how he really feels.

Peace,

Jeff

3 comments:

tony8489 said...

70% of all black children raised by a single parent. 10% of all black males in prison. 60% high school dropout rate. houston, we have a problem. I actually like jessie jackson. heard him speak back in college. great orator. that being said, both him and al sharpton are nothing but shakedown artists, (read the book "shakedown" if you ever want to know what this guy is about) until the black community stops blaming whitey for all their problems, and takes into account how much self inflicted damage they have caused while the "uncle tom" syndrome persists, they will continue to circle the drains.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling Obama doesn't mind being criticized by Jessie Jackson. Probably helps him in the white community and the black community knows "that's just Jessie."

Also who says "I want to cut his nuts off?" I don't think I've ever said or thought that about anybody.

Anonymous said...

"rent-a-riot" strikes again...