Sunday, March 2, 2008

Vikes - Spending Some Money

I am not one who believes that a football team can be built through Free Agency. A football team is built through the draft. However, a team certainly can be improved through Free Agency depending on who is being replaced. So far, the Minnesota Vikings have signed three free agents. It's nice to see them spend some money. And let's face the facts - Zygi's team has got to start making the playoffs again in a consistent manner to get the public back on their side. Here is a look at who they have brought in and who they are replacing:

Bernard Berrian, WR, From the Chicago Bears: It's always nice to nab someone from the Hated Bears. No question Berrian is the the biggest signing of the three. The Vikings lacked a number one receiver last year and now they have that guy, as long as T-Jack can get him the ball. Berrian will compliment Sidney Rice and having a serious threat at wide receiver will help prevent the opposing defense from keying on the running game. The Vikes probably overpaid for Berrian, but that is the nature of Free Agency.

And let's not forget that he replaces Troy Williamson. What more do you have to say about that? I will really miss those balls bouncing off of Williamson's shoulder pads and helmet. With the Vikings luck, however, Williamson will turn into the next Jerry Rice with Jacksonville. The one thing that concerns me about this signing is that the Vikes have not had the greatest luck with receivers from the Bears in the past. We'll see.

Madieu Williams, S, From the Cincinnati Bengals: Since Willams comes from the AFC, I don't know much about him. But he is replacing Dwight ("Hello Officer, I was just smoking some pot") Smith. Because of this, I like the signing. In addition, here is what Kevin Seifert wrote about Williams in today's StarTribune:

Before departing Winter Park on Saturday afternoon, Madieu Williams sought out Vikings community relations director Brad Madson.

"He wanted to visit Children's Hospital," Madson said. "Today."

Madson made some phone calls, and a few hours later Williams was touring the hospital's campus at the University of Minnesota. Along with sharp coverage skills, Williams also brought a deep interest in community service when he signed a six-year, $33 million contract to be the Vikings' new free safety.

Geez, I already like him better than Dwight Smith, who has signed with the Detroit Lions, by the way. Dools?

Thomas Tapeh, FB, From the Philadelphia Eagels: Tapeh is a former St. Paul Johnson and University of Minnesota graduate that was brought in to replace Tony Richardson and block for Adrian Peterson. He also has good hands to catch some passes out of the backfield. Tapeh is much younger than Richardson, so the Vikes should get a few good years out of him. Also, from what I understand, he is a good guy. I mention this because I am sick of idiots playing for the Vikings.

As the draft approaches, the Vikings need to address their pass-rushing Defensive End situation. The situation being that they basically don't have any pass-rushing Defensive Ends. Oh, and they could certainly use a veteran Quarterback for insurance just in case T-Jack is incompetent.

More on that later. That is all for now.

Jeff

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for a comment on the Smith signing. Not only are the Lions burdened with under performing or just plain lusy players. They now have to pick up cast-offs with discipline problems. Hmmm, I can smell another banner year in Motown!

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I meant lousy!

Jeff said...

At least you guys have the stadium issue solved.

I'm waiting for the Vikings to finally assemble a good team and then move to LA or Toronto - and win the Super Bowl!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I know you are a huge replacements fan. Go to this site for a gem. It is a show they did at 7th St. Entry, one of their first shows ever.

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/links/2...ve_in_1981.php

Regarding the Vikings. Travaris Jackson has done nothing to show that he can be a consistent NFL QB.

That means we would have to win by looking like the Ravens or Bucs with an at best average QB. Our running game is good enough, our defense is not close to being good enough to offset no passing game.

They need to get a QB. I would go after Brady Quinn for a couple of draft picks and let him compete for the job.

Anonymous said...

I'm w/ dave m... go get Quinn,T-Jack is no Dilfer.

The Pantless Wonder

Jeff said...

I agree with you guys. They're suping up the car and disregarding the engine (you like that? I just came up with it).

They need to go get Quinn. I have even heard rumors that Derrick Anderson might still be availble for the right price.

If I was the Vikes, I'd be willing to trade my 1st pick (#17) for a QB. If they keep it, they will pick a "tweener" - too small for D-line, too big for Linebacker.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, 3-1/2 weeks until baseball season and we're talking about the Vikings and their lack of a QB. Is this the P.A. and Dubay show page?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until tomorrow for the brettfarve blog.

Anonymous said...

3-1/2 weeks until baseball opens... who gives a shit.

I'll tune into the Twins around Aug/Sept... and that'll be just to see how far behind they are in the standings.

The Pantless Wonder

Anonymous said...

Love the first 3 signings (as well as the Maurice Hicks signing). They finally addressed some areas of need through free agency (thanks, Spielman) versus last year's blunders with Shiancoe & Ciurciu. Neither of these wastes of money will ever help the Vikes!

As far as the Smith "loss" I guess I really don't consider it such.