The Wild are in a tough spot. Their power play sucks and their goaltenders are giving up goals at the most inopportune times. They are "gripping their sticks a little too tight" as Jacques Lemaire would say. How bad has their luck been? Check out this picture from overtime in yesterday's game. With Evgeni Nabokov, the Sharks goalie, out of the position, The Wild sent a shot flipping towards the middle of the goal. The game-winning shot, right?
No! The shot gets batted out of mid-air like a baseball by the Sharks Patrick Marleau, and the Sharks go on to win in a shootout. Nice.But, hey, not matter how bad a day the Wild had, it doesn't match the bummer of a time had by New York Governor Eliot Spitzer. You see Spitzer has been accused of soliciting prostitutes. Here is more according to a CNN.com report:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Federal prosecutors have unsealed an affidavit that details a rendezvous in a Washington hotel room last month between a prostitute and a client who a source tells CNN was New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer.
Spitzer, who is married with three children, went before reporters Monday to confess to an undisclosed personal indiscretion, saying he had acted "in a way that violates my obligations to my family, that violates my or any sense of right and wrong."
His alleged involvement with the ring was caught on a federal wiretap, the source said.
The prostitute, identified only as "Kristen" worked for the Emperors Club, which charged between $1,000 and $5,500 an hour and operated in New York; Los Angeles, California; Miami, Florida; London, England; and Paris, France, according to court papers.
According to the affidavit, defendant Temeka Rachelle Lewis -- who is accused of working as a booking agent for the club -- wrote a text message Monday, February 11, asking the operation's day-to-day organizer to "pls let me know if (Client-9's) 'package' arrives 2mrw. Appt wd be on Wed." Prosecutors say the message was a reference to a deposit.
On Tuesday, according to the affidavit, Lewis sent a message to Kristen, saying Client-9's deposit had not arrived but she should be able to "do the trip" if it arrived the next day.
The affidavit says that, about 5 p.m. Tuesday, February 12, Lewis spoke with Client-9 on the telephone and told him that his "package arrived today." The client asked Lewis whom he would be meeting and, when told it was Kristen, said, "Great, OK, wonderful."
The two discussed how the woman would get a key to his room for a Wednesday rendezvous and how they could arrange credit for future services.
"Client-9 asked Lewis to remind him what Kristen looked like and Lewis said that she was an American, petite, very pretty brunette, 5 feet 5 inches and 105 pounds," the affidavit reads.
In a call to Lewis, Client 9 was told the balance would be $2,712.41, but Lewis suggested he give Kristen $1,500 or $2,000 more so that he would have a credit.
According to the affidavit, Kristen called Lewis about 9:32 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, and told her she was in Client-9's room -- No. 871 -- at the Washington hotel.
Four minutes later, Client-9 was in the hotel, Lewis told Kristen in another call.
No more calls were logged until 12:02 a.m. Thursday -- Valentine's Day -- nearly 2½ hours later. At that time, Kristen told Lewis Client-9 had left and she had collected $4,300.
Lewis told the prostitute she'd been told that Client-9 "would ask you to do things that, like, you might not think are safe -- you know -- I mean that ... very basic things," the affidavit says.
Yeah, personally I'll take the shootout loss. What is this guy thinking? Do these guys think they won't get caught? Hell, my wife knows when I've had an extra beer. Do they know that their indiscretions will be broadcast in public? Have they heard of the Internet? Where do you think guys like me find this stuff out? Check out this picture:
The looks on their faces say it all:
Governor Spitzer: "Geez, I never thought I'd get caught! I'm the Governor!"
Wife: "Tonight I'm going to kill you in your sleep with a rolling pin."
I am not trying to make light of this situation. I understand that this is a tragic event, and has bad ramifications for this family. I just do not understand why these guys think they will get away with this kind of stuff?
Have they heard of You Tube?
Jeff
6 comments:
Man, $4,300 for a prostitute, she better have breasts in the front AND back or give you a gold certificate for a price like that!
Here's a question about the Wild. Do you want them to make the playoffs knowing that NHL playoffs anything can happen and the Wild could go on an influential run or do you not want them to make the playoffs so that D. Reisborough and company realize that this team has some major issues and need a new plan.
I'm leaning toward the latter. The Wild need to be shocked out of their complecancy, what better than no playoffs, a grumpy fan base and a new owner?
Your thoughts?
Oops. The second part of that question should have read "miss" the playoffs.
Free - I would rather have the Wild make the playoffs. I don't know if Management can be "shocked" out of their complacency by a pissed fan base (see Wolves and Vikings).
Actually, what the Wild are going through right now reminds me of the Wolves in the late '90's - an above average team playing in an outstanding conference. There are hardly any bad teams in the West, while the East sucks. Deja Vu all over again.
At least anything can happen if they make the playoffs. Backstrom could get hot in goal, etc.
I guess we'll see.
No truth to the rumour that this was one of his dates.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article902014.ece
I'm not sure I agree Jeff. While I agree the Western Conference is brutal. The Wild should have the resources to compete and their brain trust is head shoulders above McHale and Friends.
So what if they ride Backstrom to a long play off run? What does that prove other than a hot goalie can get you far in the playoffs.
The Wild need to have a come to Jesus meeting with themselves really figure out what's going to push this team among th elites and then go do it. Not making the playoffs may help them get started a little quicker.
But what do I know? The last time I saw a professional hockey game it was the Spring of 1981.
If the Wild make the playoffs and lose, the players should have to hold a press conference explaining why. Oh yeah, and they should have their wives standing next to them.
Post a Comment