Thursday, February 14, 2008

Favorite Songwriters

I have been meaning to write a post listing my all-time favorite songwriters. Well, the kids are in bed and it's 5 degrees outside, so what the hell, why not tonight? I've actually put some thought into this. You know, while lying awake at 2:00 AM, driving home from THE CHECK wondering "who are my favorite songwriters?" I am not saying that these are necessessarily the TOP songwriters of the ages, just the ones that have had the most influence on me in my lifetime. So , here are my Top 10 favorite songwriters in descending order (for effect, of course):

10. Shane MacGowan - Pogues, Solo (A mix of traditional Irish and Punk - can't beat it)

9. Bob Dylan - (Perhaps you have heard of him)

8. John Lennon - (Was in a band called The Beatles)

7. Ryan Adams - Whiskeytown, Solo (He's a dink, but he sure can write songs - lots of 'em)

6. Gary Louris - Jayhawks, Golden Smog, Solo (The pride of Minneapolis alt-country)

5. Mike Scott - The Waterboys, Solo (Rock, Traditional Irish - he can do it all)

4. Neil Young - (An absolute Icon)

3. Joe Strummer - The Clash (The Only Band That Mattered)

2. Jeff Tweedy - Uncle Tupelo, Wilco (A Genius - Country, rock, 60's pop - it's all there)

1. Paul Westerberg - The Replacements, Solo (Who else? The Soundtrack of Our Lives)

So there you have it. Although, the list could change in 5 minutes, I feel it's a pretty solid representation of the songwriters that have influenced my life over the years. By the way, the guys from Spandau Ballet and Kajagoogoo just missed the list!

Who are some of your favorite songwriters - Let me know!

Jeff

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember a guy named Thomps who wore a Culture Club t-shirt during the summer of 1984. From the parking lot of McDonald's it drew comments such as "you want to fight". This made you want to wear it every night.

Therefore, in the spirit of Boy George, who did in fact have some influence on your life, I give you the rest of your list (from the summer of '84). . .

1. "When Doves Cry".....Prince - You called Prince out as a potential icon
2. "What's Love Got To Do With It".....Tina Turner - everyone thought this song was gay
3. "Jump".....Van Halen - Jase - anyone?
4. "Karma Chameleon".....Culture Club - You wore the shirt Jeff
5. "Like A Virgin".....Madonna - reminds me of that blonde that left EC, came back in college and hooked up with Cubby. You dated her that summer.
6."Hello".....Lionel Richie - again one of the lamest songs of all time.
7. "Owner Of A Lonely Heart".....Yes - great band, but selling out.
8. "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)".....Phil Collins - hard to believe Jeff Bridges is the brother of Beau.
9. "Footloose".....Kenny Loggins - Kevin Bacon could be linked to any list like this.
10. "Ghostbusters".....Ray Parker, Jr. - I can remember driving down Clairemont Ave in Steve H's car and you sticking your head out the window and yelling Watch you gonna do - Ghost Busters! Secretly - Ray Parker Jr. might be one of your major influencers in music.

Believe it or not, this is the Billboard top ten from 1984.

Anonymous said...

One more thing . . .

I remember Cubby really getting into Billy Ocean when he first came out. He thought the videos were very seductive. Remember Caribbean Queen? Cubby said this was a talented singer and he would be around for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, some insight into Jeff T. Culture Club hmmmmmm....

Pete Townsend should be in your list, not sure who drops out. It should probably be Lennon-McCartney although I think you're are dismissing McCartney for his his body of work since 1980. But who knows what Lennon (or Sir Paul) would be doing if he had lived?

Thom Yorke of Radiohead? Bono/U2? Elvis Costello? Bruce Springsteen? Johnny Cash? Willie Nelson?

Finally you got to find room for Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices, if not for the sure number of songs he has written.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

A couple of weeks ago Diane and I were in the car running errands when "Imagine" came on the radio. We've heard the song 500 times probably, but you know those moments where you really listen hard to a song more than other times? At the end of the song we both looked at each other and I think we were shocked at the wonderfulness of that song. Probably the most perfect song ever written.

I am glad you have Lennon on your list.

By the way, Gary Louris has a new album coming out on Tuesday. It has some outstanding tracks, and I would reccommend it for you to purchase. The title track "Vagabonds" is as good a song as he has ever written.

Jeff said...

Anonymous - Yes, I will admit, I purchased a Culture Club t-shirt in 1984 as an experiment and wore it down to McDonalds on Water Street (high school hang out) during the height of hair band heavy metal - 1984. This was like wearing a North Stars jersey into the old Chicago Stadium. Let's just say it pissed a lot of people off, which was exactly what I was looking to do. It also almost got me killed, which was not what I was looking for. Good times. Billy Ocean - that's good stuff. By the way, Anonymous, it sounds like you were there - Pedo?

Free - These are the 10 songwriters who had the most influence on me, but if I were to add a "honorable mention list" some of those that you named would be on there - especially Bono. I went through a phase in '83-'85 where I listened to U2 constantly.

Dave - I really am looking forward to the new Gary Louris album. My wife and I bought tickets to the show at The State in March - are you guys going to that? The album got an excellent review in the Pioneer Press this morning.

Anonymous said...

You are embarassing yourself and making a mockery of Top Ten lists-Neil Young?
-Doo-waah-wo-woh? Someone wrote that---he wrote that!
Gross!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, you wrote, '...Yes, I will admit, I purchased a Culture Club t-shirt in 1984....' Steph and I pity you.
-Roger

Anonymous said...

Here is my list in no particular order:
1. George & Ira Gershwin
2. John Philip Sosua
3. Mel Torme
4. Cole Porter
5. Rodgers & Hammerstein
6. Sammy Cahn
7. Lorenz Hart & Richard Rodgers
8. Johnny Mercer
9. Hoagy Carmichael
10. Irving Berlin

Jeff said...

Anonymous #1 (who is embarrassed by Neil Young): As the chicken farmer said to Napolean Dynamite (in that movie - Napolean Dynamite): "Son, I do not understand one word that you just said."

Roger and Steph: That shirt really pissed off some rockers to the point of ruining their night. Which was my goal in the first place. Some chicks kind of dug it, though.

Uncle Rob: No Elvis?

Anonymous said...

No Elvis as a songwriter, but he did perform some songs by those writers on my list such as:

True Love by Cole Porter
You'll Never Walk Alone by Rodgers & Hammerstein
Fools Rush In by Rodgers & Hart
White Christmas by Irvin Berlin

I'm sure there are more but you can only do so much on a 15 min. break

Anonymous said...

You havent taken a break that ONLY lasted 15 mins in 15 years!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

We will be attending that show. We'll be in row 11, seats 1-2 right on the aisle in the middle of the place. Very excited. Actually, there was just an impromteau Jayhawks show at the 400 the other day with much of the original lineup doing an encore after Mark Olson's show. Very cool.

As the show gets closer, maybe we can meet up for a beer at Solera or something.

Anonymous said...

Jeff
Anonymous (Pedo, Jonny E.(dave m.), or Jimmy H.) didn't include one of your favorites...Ratt - round and round.

By the way, I'm more than a little curious as to who the blonde referenced in #5 is...that was apparently somewhat popular? Help me out.

And if she was so popular, why didn't I date her? Or did I?

Back to your original topic...I'll include a few names:

1. Jim Croce
2. David Bowie
3. Ed Kowalczyk (sp.)? - Live
4. James Taylor
5. Dave Pirner - Soul Asylum
6. Roger Waters, David Gilmour - Pink Floyd
7. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
8. Cat Stevens
9. Carole King
10. Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, et al. - Fleetwood Mac

Jeff said...

Jase - good list!

By the way, I was hoping you could clue me in on who that blonde was. I tried to stay away from girls who hooked up with Cubby.

No idea...

Anonymous said...

Jeff

I'm stumped...

Anonymous said...

I am laos (duece pham joke should be "loss") stumped on the #5 comment, but intrigued as to who it might be. I am not Dave M., but I continue to text message him things with believe it or not, no response. Now it is just more of a sport than anything else. Jon

Anonymous said...

tami juhl

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,
I know who you are.

Jeff said...

Jon - A Billy "Why you call me Dunce" Pham reference - that's good stuff. First ever on the blog.

Anonymous - by the way, I never dated Tami Juhl (Jewell?)