Saturday, October 20, 2007

Gopher Football: Rock Bottom

It's a good thing that I don't consider myself much of a fan of Minnesota Golden Gopher football. If there is a group of fans that has every right to be suicidal, it would be fans of the Gopher football team (all five of them). Today, Minnesota lost to something called the North Dakota State Bisons at home - 27 to 21. You can see from my previous post that I predicted Nodak to win 38-31. I thought there would be some more scoring. Nonetheless, I was correct.

Folks, Rock Bottom has been hit. I don't care if the Gophers lose every game the rest of this year 110-0, this game marks Rock Bottom. North Dakota State. I wonder how that patch of grass from The Rose Bowl is looking in Tim Brewster's office?

As I have said in a previous post, there are only two possible destinations for Head Coach Tim Brewster. Here they are:

1. The Coach Who Returned The Gopher Football Team To Glory (TCWRTGFTTG).

or

2. The Single Biggest Coaching Buffoon In Minnesota Sports History (TSBCBIMSH). By the way, Jim Wacker and Denny Green share this honor right now. But it is in serious jeopardy.

You see, when I guy comes in a starts talking about taking "Gopher Nation" to the Rose Bowl "sooner than later," the bar is set. No middle ground. Now, I'm going to back off because I understand Mr. Brewster is playing with Glen Mason's team. They have to be shell-shocked for sure, after some astonishing, almost mathematically impossible losses over the past few years. I will wait a little while longer to declare Tim Brewster TSBCBIMSH. However, the word on the street is that Tim Brewster is an excellent recruiter. If you were a top High School football player, would you want to play for this team? If you were the parent of a top High School football player, would you want your son to play for this team?

Right now I don't think the Gophers could beat The University of Leinenkugels (UW-Eau Claire). In all honesty, Eden Prairie High School would give them a great game. In fact, my prediction is that Eden Prairie would win, 24-23.

Peace,

Jeff

4 comments:

tony8489 said...

in all honesty, this may be the embarrassing moment in minnesota sports history. how a university this size cannot compete totally baffles me. maybe this even qualifies as the most embarrassing moment in SPORTS history.

Jeff said...

tony8489 - I agree. The U is lucky that they are not on the national radar more, and that most people don't even pay attention.

I am not kidding when I say that Eden Prairie High School would give them a good game, and maybe even beat them. Think about it - most of the Gophers are only a couple of years older than most of the Eden Prairie team. Are they better?

Anonymous said...

I'm a Gopher football fan and even spent $68 so that me and my dad could watch the game in person.

Fortunately I'm not suicidal. Just sad. And embarrased. O.k. maybe a little suicidal. Good thing the wife took the 'ludes with her.

Jeff said...

Wow, Free, you were there? I heard there were 20 - 30,000 Nodakians in the crowd.

I will say this. When the Gophers play outside again in 2009, I'll buy tickets to go see them. I'll see anybody play football outside on a nice fall day.