Hello everyone out there:
I hope that none of my faithful readers (Jase) grew worrisome about my welfare while checking for blog updates on an hourly basis lately. Don't worry, I did not put on an adult diaper (more on that later) and go on a multi-state joyride over the latest Twins stadium screw-up (way more on that in a separate post). I traveled to Massachusetts over the last few days for work. I was in Groton, Massachusetts, which is a lot like Stillwater with people who have a different accent. I had a good trip, but it cemented the fact that I am glad I don't have to travel for work on an ongoing basis. I had a chance to sit on the plane in Detroit and watch a baggage handler load suitcases on the plane for 45 minutes. How a person's luggage makes it on the correct plane without being damaged is the eighth wonder of the world if you ask me. I am rather amazed by air travel in general, and how the whole thing works, but that is also a subject of another post. While I was away, a few things happened in the news that made me ponder life, and the world we live in. The subject of today's post will be the following story: Lisa Marie Nowak.
From what I understand, Ms. Nowak, a Navy pilot and Astronaut is accused of plotting to kidnap a woman she believed was involved with William Oefelein, a space shuttle pilot. Nowak allegedly drove from Texas to Orlando to look for the woman with the following items: Pepper spray, a steel mallet, a knife, rubber tubing and...........a BB gun. A BB gun? Now, I understand that guns are rather hard to come by in Texas. Maybe a BB gun was all she could get her hands on. From what I can tell, Nowak was going to kidnap the woman, pepper spray her, tie her up with rubber tubing (that was cut with the knife), bonk her on the head with the steel mallet and then shoot her with BB's. The woman would have had those nasty welts all over her body. To make matters worse, Nowak apparently wore - get this - an adult diaper while driving from Texas to Orlando so she wouldn't have to stop to go to the bathroom. Now, I have to admit that this has crossed my mind in the days of road tripping with a 12-pack - back in The Day. I could never pull the trigger on the adult diapers, however. What the hell happened, you ask? Folks, Ms. Nowak "snapped." I looked up "snap" in the dictionary, as in "to snap," and this is what I found:
--A Thin Brittle Cookie (no - wrong one)
--To break suddenly, often with angry words
I think that is right on. I bet she definitely used a couple of angry words. What befuddles me is that I would have thought that a person would have to undergo some pretty serious psychological examinations before becoming an astronaut. I mean, even I had to answer some questions before being hired by THE CHECK. I would think one question for a potential astronaut would be:
"If you leave Earth, and enter Space, where is there is no oxygen or gravity, will you snap?"
My answer would be: "Yes, I will snap." Therefore, I could not be an astronaut. (Along with the fact that I would break my glasses in space, and not be able to drive the rocket home). It appears that Ms. Nowak was able to handle Space, but not the fact that the man that she loved was possibly involved with another woman. Interesting. Maybe everyone has their "snapping point." What would yours be - and how would you know? Mine could possibly be a ten-year struggle to build a Twins stadium that finally gets approved but then three weeks before construction is due to begin Hennepin County determines that they can't buy the parcel of land from the Greedy Owners that wanted the stadium there in the first place so the whole project but be in jeopardy and the team's existence in doubt. But that would never happen, right? Right? RIGHT???
Friday, February 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Jeff - Glad you are home safe.
Speaking of snapping...it seems the Packers are seriously considering trading for Randy Moss.
The Horror...
Jase - Moss signing with the Packers may be yet another sign of the end times. Buy canned goods and water....now!
Ha, admit it. You loved it here in the Stillwater of the East.
As far as the rest of you post, well, thank god you won't need an adult diaper when you snap and head for the Hennepin County Building.
Hey Phil - you're right, I was impressed with Groton. It's pretty cool how there is a "rural" feeling, coupled with "urban" restaurants and shops. Stillwater is like that here. It was nice seeing all of you guys. As for the adult diapers, I may just keep some on hand just in case.
Jeff
Jeff / Phil -
How far is Groton from Boston?
Boston is a blast!
Hey Jase - Groton is approx. an hour to an hour and a half west of Boston. I actually flew into Manchester, New Hampshire because it's less of a hassle.
Jeff
Post a Comment