Friday, September 3, 2010

Some Fleeting Thoughts

Here are a few things on my mind today:

1. Yes, I am now on Facebook. I put it off for a few eons, but after I attended my High School reunion, I realized it would be a good thing to do since most of my pals from back home are on there. Plus, it gave me another place to post the cowboy picture. So there.

2. Some friends of ours gave us two free tickets to the Vikings game last night (thanks Kim and Paul!), so I took my son The Graminator because it's his 11th birthday. First, the pleasantries. It was his first-ever Viking game, so that was a lot of fun. He really enjoyed a live NFL game. And the Vikings scrubs beat Denver's scrubs. Now, let's dispense with the pleasantries.

The Metrodome (sorry - Mall of America Field) is an absolute dump.

Look, I know that I have been spoiled by Target Field and the Xcel Energy Center. But, my God, the Dome has become worse than my basement. This is not 1984 anymore. Dark, dingy, smelly. The roof looks like the curtains in a chain-smokers house. And the new turf looks like something from a 1970's miniature golf course. I am surprised the MOA folks wanted their name on this monstrosity. Let's not mince words here. This should be called Apache Plaza Field.

Something has to be done about this. And fast.

3. Speaking of my son's birthday, we bought him a replica of the 1970's Evel Knievel motorcycle toy that you wind up and it does jumps and stuff. I had one of these back in THE DAY. Man, did I love that thing. My son saw some video clips on You Tube of the original in action and he was hooked. We bought one on line and it arrived yesterday. I must say that it's a pretty good replication of the '70's toy. There is only one difference - the 2010 version is louder than a jet plane. It's louder than the Metrodome during the '87 World Series. But don't get me wrong, it's still hours of fun.

4. How the hell is it already September?

5. Lastly, just a few short days ago, there was an article in the Pioneer Press about how the Twins could possibly employ a 6-man rotation when Kevin Slowey comes off the disabled list. That is how well their pitchers were doing. Then, last night, Scott Baker complains of elbow pain after 2 innings and the Twins use EIGHT pitchers in an extra-inning loss to Detroit.

Forget the 6-man rotation.

Now the Twins have to bring up some guy named Matt Fox from AAA ball to start tonight's tilt with hated Texas. That, my friends, is how fast things can go down the toilet in Major League Baseball. Matt Fox? He was a reliever/starter who has not gone more that 6 innings in a minor league game this year. I am actually going to be attendance at tonight's game with my kids, so I get to witness Mr. Fox's debut. Too bad we don't have seats in the Home Run porch. Something tells me we'd get a few baseballs. (Editor's note: My apologies to Matt Fox. He pitched a great ballgame. He went 5 2/3, only gave up 2 runs, and allowed the Twins to rest most of their bullpen. Nice work! That will teach me to be sarcastic).

I don't want to sound too negative,, however. The Twins still lead their division by 3 1/2 games over the White Sox. And, on top of that, the Sox just picked up noted nut-case and locker-room killer Manny Ramirez. The Twins should still win the division, so things are looking up.

Have a great Labor Day!

6 comments:

dools said...

Jeff,

It was good to see you last Friday. Sorry we couldn't talk more, crappy day for me.
Even though I am a Tigers fan, last night's game was a train wreck. Poor play & poor umpiring is not a good combination.
Also, be glad your class song is, "Don't You Forget About Me". It could any song "performed" by Ke$ha. Crap, crap, and more crap! Makes my ears bleed!

Jeff said...

dools - nice to see you too! I'll stop back in the next time I'm in EC.

The nice thing about graduating in '85 was that Ke$ha was probably not even born yet, so she was unable to write any of her crappy "music." I know this statement officially makes me "old," but 99% of popular music today is complete and total crap.

Why, back in my day.....

freealonzo said...

Apache Plaza Mall. Heh, Good stuff.

Jeff said...

Thanks Free. I was going to say Har Mar but I didn't want to insult Har Mar.

tony8489 said...

in these current economic conditions, the metrodome will have to suffice

Jeff said...

tony - that is my fear. As we've talked about, I don't see how the politicians here (or anywhere else, for that matter) can ask for public funds for a stadium with what is going on.

One possible angle is job creation.

I still say if they put the utilization of gambling revenue (i.e racino) to a public vote, it would win hands down.

I'm glad the Twins got their stadium built.