Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Prognostication Time Again

It's that time of year again. The Vikings season starts tomorrow night where it ended last year - New Orleans, Louisiana (already starting to feel sick). This Vikings season feel different, however. I believe that there is more pressure on this year's team to win than ever before. Why? The 2010 Vikings are loaded with older talent. Many of these players will be gone after this season. The Vikings also happen to have a stadium lease that will expire after the 2011 season, and they need to convice skeptical politicians and residents of Minnesota to build them a new stadium in the worst economic times since the Great Depression. Winning would help the cause and an underachieving, losing season may doom the cause. Let's just say there is some pressure on this year's squad.

That being said, here are my predictions for the 2010 NFC North. We all know that I am spot-on with my predictions (deep sarcasm), so I might as well put a hex on the Pack (sorry Jase).

Here we go:

1. Green Bay Packers (12-4). Might as well join the national love-fest. Aaron Rodgers may be the greatest football player of all time.

2. Minnesota Vikings (9-7). Too old. Too many injuries. Not enough cornerbacks or receivers. Doesn't bode well for the future.

3. Chicago Bears (7-9). Jay Cutler is not the greatest football player of all time. So long to Lovie.

4. Detroit Lions (5-11). Better than last year, but still last place (sorry dools).

So there you go. Written in stone (even though that stone might be sandstone!).

Jeff

9 comments:

tony8489 said...

here is my predictions for the nfc central: pack 13-3, rogers mvp. lions improve to 9-7. vikes 8-8. bears 7-9

peterson underachieves. favre and chilly begin the bickering as farve's ankle gets worse. chilly wants to yank him, but favre wants to preserve the streak. things will get ugly pretty quick. chilly loses his job, and finally the vikings get a savior. they missed out on tony dungy and mike tomlin. now they have leslie frazier take them to the promised land in 2013 and are crowned super bowl champs. In LA.

tony8489 said...

vikes lose against saints 42-7. and I will not watch one minute.

Jeff said...

tony - I like your call on Frazier. I can see that happening. The players seem to respect him more than Chilly.

I predict that next year (last in the Dome) they will go 3-13 and get a top pick in the draft. They'll pick the next great QB - just in time to move to LA.

That would be typical.

tony8489 said...

there is no doubt a bad moon arising for this franchise. declining revenues will lead to the inability to sign players which will lead to blackouts which may lead to them moving. good riddance. I will not shed a tear as they vacate winter park. I will even help them dismantle that faux ship outside their corporate, and replace that whole land area with a golf course.

Jeff said...

They are at the same crossroads right now that the Twins were at back in the so-called Contraction days. The difference, however, is that the Twins had a couple of championships under their belts and some up-and-coming very likable players.

The Vikes have neither.

freealonzo said...

Vikings 10-6

Packers 8-8 (Rogers injured in week 6 after getting sacked too many times and TJack is a better backup than what the Pack have. Also how can anyone think the Packers will win more than 10 games with that crappy defense? Didn't anyone see the Cardinals drop 51 on this team last year or was that some sort of dream I had?)

Bears 7-9

Lions 6-10

I know we all like to have doom and gloom here, but the Vikings aren't going anywhere, especially by 2013 as LA doesn't even have a building permit for a new stadium. It won't be until 2015 that the Jacksonville Jags move to L.A.

gilby said...

Here's my take on the season: I've already had WAY TOO MANY arguments on the fate of the Vikes and I thought I was going to try and not give a shit this year...

Thank God the Twins are in contention and hockey season is just around the corner. Blood pressure is way too high the way it is.

Enjoy!

dave m said...

Jeff, i appreciate your decision to avoid discussion of the Twins.

In the interest of all things holy, please don't put anything up here about them until after they have played their last game this year. Don't even respond to this post.

Sincerely,

All Twins Fans

freealonzo said...

Looking back a lot of bad prognosis for this post. Except of course my prediction that the Pack were nowhere close to as good as advertised.