Another chapter for the book "Snatching Defeat From The Jaws of Victory." The book is getting long. The Vikings had a chance to secure the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs. First, they had to defeat the rotten, beat up Chicago Bears to have any hope.
They, of course, lost.
You see, the Minnesota Vikings cannot stand success. After possibly the worst, most uninspired half of football that I have seen since.......last week......I was ready to go to bed in peace with the Bears leading 16-0 knowing that the Vikings got killed.
But no.
Brett Favre rallied the Vikings over and over again to force overtime, tied 30-30. This, of course, sucked fans like me back in (and kept me up). They had their chances to win, but an Adrian Peterson fumble (which have become as common as snowflakes in winter) lost the game for the Vikings. I believe in my heart that the Vikings will find a way to lose to the Giants next week, fall to the fourth seed in the NFC, and lose at the Metrodome to the Green Bay Packers the first week of the playoffs. The Nightmare Scenario will be complete.
Folks, the day I made the decision to follow the Minnesota Vikings was the worst health-related choice that I have ever made. Smoking three packs of cigarettes a day would not compare to the "ringer" that this football squad has put me through in my lifetime.
I marvel at the Vikings ability to lose games like this. It is utterly and amazingly horrible and stupefying. And, yet, it is somewhat fascinating.
Like a train wreck.
Jeff
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Look at it this way. Our kids are learning what it truly means to be a Vikings fan.
Last night my 14 year old said to me. You know Dad you were right, the Vikings never do fail to disappoint do they.
I looked at him, smiled and said you're growing up boy, you're growing up.
watching the game with the sound turned down, and reading, as usual. when the vikings scored their first touchdown, I said to myself, a missed or blocked extra point would be just perfect at this point. I looked up, watched the block, shook my head once, and continued reading.
another thing, ace. remember when we talked before the game, and said it would probably come down to the vikings driving, and peterson would fumble the game away? yep.
Jeff - my predictions from your Sept. 10th post (Vikes & Pack both finishing at 11-5, and Vikes winning the div. by tie breaker) is looking more plausible every day???
Interesting...
Free - your son is learning a very valuable lesson early in life. It will serve him well if he chooses the correct attitude. I am afraid it is too late for me.......
tony - these feelings and premanitions that you speak of can only be cultivated over decades of experience.
Jase - your pre-season prognostication is looking like reality. Very Nostradamus-like!
Actually it's pretty remote the Vikes play the Pack in the playoffs. Here's a breakdown:
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/80296182.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI
Free - I saw that too. Basically, it would take the Vikings losing to the Giants, the Packers losing to the Cardinals and the Cowboys losing to the Eagles.
I think that is going to happen.
Post a Comment