Thursday, September 10, 2009

NFC (Norris) North Prognostications

It's that time again. The Fair is done, school has started and there is a hint of fall in the air. It's time to predict the outcome of the NFC North Division. I'm not really sure why I keep predicting the outcome of sports as I have not been real accurate (i.e Cleveland Indians = 2009 AL Central champs) but what the heck. So.....here were my 2008 NFC North predictions:

1. Packers: 9 - 7 (actually 6-10)
2. Vikings: 8 - 8 (actually 10-6)
3. Detroit: 6-10 (actually 0-16)
4. Bears: 5-11 (actually 9-7)

Not so good. But, it's worth another shot this year. I actually think the NFC North will be a much better division this year because of the upgrade to the quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers is solid in Green Bay, Jay (punk) Cutler joined the Bears and (as you may have heard) Brett Favre is with the Vikes.

With the Vikes specifically, I like the addition of Percy Harvin and what he brings to the offense. The defense is solid, and the return of E.J. Henderson from an injury brings an All-Pro linebacker back into the fold. Of course, the Vikings have arguably the best player in football in running back Adrian Peterson. On the negative side, it is unknown what effect Brett Favre will have on the offense, and how long it will take him to adjust to his third team in three years. Also, the "Williams Wall" court ruling could suspend Kevin and Pat Williams for four games if they are found guilty of using a banned substance. That would be a huge blow to the defense.

So, with those details in mind, here are my 2009 NFC North predictions:

1. Packers: 11-5
2. Vikings: 9-7 (wild card)
3. Bears: 8-8
4. Lions: 2-14 (sorry dools)

I'm going on vibes with the Packers winning the division. They seem to bounce back from poor years well, and I do think Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the division. I'd like to think that Brett Favre is the "final piece of the puzzle" for the Vikings, but that does not seem to be How Things Go for this team. They certainly do not seem to have Karma on their side.

So what do you think? How will the NFC North end up this year?

4 comments:

Freealonzo said...

Jeff, I am really disappointed in you picking the Packers to win the Division. Sometimes you have to let your bile and hatred cloud your judgement. I guess you can thake the boy out of Eau Claire but you can't take the Eau Claire out of the boy. Here's my predictions:

Vikings 12-4
Bears 11-5
Packers 5-11
Lions - 3-13

Look there and all equal 16 games which is an improvement from my predictions from previous years.

dools said...

I'll take two or three wins this year. I think the Bears, Packers, and Vikings will all be above .500 win the season ends.
Vikings should win the NFC North.

jase said...

Jeff -

I'll say:

1. Vikings 11-5 (win division as a result of a tie-breaker-better conference record)

2. Packers 11-5 (wild card)

3. Bears 9-7

4. Lions 4-12

Jeff said...

Hey Free, dools and Jase - I guess one "barrier" to the Vikes winning the division has been removed. The courts ruled yesterday that Kevin and Pat Williams can play all year. It's an odd ruling because of different state laws. Different laws in Minnesota vs. Louisiana mean that the Vikings are free to play and the guys on the Saints could be suspended. Very strange.

By the way, I think the most important entity on the field for the Vikings this year is their offensive line. If they don't keep AP and Farve from getting killed, the team will be in big trouble.

But I guess you could say that about any team....