Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vikes Score 41. And Lose.

If you would have told me this morning that the Vikings would score 41 points in their game against the Bears today in Chicago, I would have thought they would win by three touchdowns.

But no.

There are many, many ways the Minnesota Vikings find to lose football games. You see, they gave up 48 points to Kyle Orton and the high-powered (sarcasm) Bears. How? Well, today it happened to be a blocked punt that was returned for a touchdown and a muffed punt that was recovered for a touchdown. Next game it will be something else.

I'm going to cut to the chase on this. I am usually not one to advocate the constant firing of head coaches. Good teams generally have coaching continuity. One huge reason the Minnesota Twins have had success is the fact that they have had two managers since 1987 - Tom Kelly and Ron Gardenhire.

But, it is time for Brad Childress to go.

Folks, the Minnesota Vikings are not prepared to compete on a week to week basis. This team simply cannot put together a "complete" football game in which the offense, defense and special teams plays in a consistent, disciplined manner. Not one game. And that comes down to coaching. They have the talent, and Zygi Wilf has certainly doled out the money to bring in free agents to fill positional gaps. It's coaching.

If the Vikings don't do something quickly, they risk losing even more of their usually loyal fan base and they certainly will not make any headway at the capital in their quest for a new stadium. Fans are downright angry right now. It reminds me of the last days of the North Stars. And we all know what happened there. This is not the franchise that I grew up watching back at The Met and even under Burnsie at the Dome. These guys are a bunch of losers.

The Vikings have to do something immediately. Childress must go. Replace him on a temporary basis with Leslie Frazier, and then go after a big-name coach (Bill Cowher) in the off-season.

The future of the franchise in Minnesota depends on it.

Jeff

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would suspect that Zygi's gonna have "a little talk" with the genius behind the Vikes very soon. Did anyone catch the picture in the Press last Monday?

A gal's there with an old school iron-on picture on a white shirt of Chilly looking like, well, Chilly and it said on the top of the picture, "Keep the Kick-Ass offense." Underneath the picture it said, "Fire the Dumb-Ass Coach!"

He's about as capable of leading the Vikes as Fat Alice was of keeping order in the MHS Library.

If you think about it in those terms, it makes the games easier to digest. I can't even get mad anymore they're so pathetic.

Again, Leaf Drive!

Jeff said...

Gilby - that was the first official "Fat Alice" reference on What Jeff Thinks. Oustanding.

I got a laugh out of that picture in the Pioneer Press last week. The gal wearing it looked a little, shall we say, "hardened."

Anonymous said...

I've said this before, but I'll say it again... for your mental health, don't care about the Vikings.

Yesterday I heard some of the game on the radio, but me and the boss went for a walk in the woods on a beautiful fall day during the early afternoon. I came home and saw the last 5-8 minutes of the game. They lost, no big deal. Fire Childress, fine whatever.

Just remember, the Vikings will always disappoint, they will always break your heart, they will always come up short.

If you can remember that, your Sundays in the Fall are that much more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

This has nothing to do with the Vikings, but it appears that another Bigfoot sighting has occurred. I expect a full report from you.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081020/wl_sthasia_afp/nepaljapanwildlifeyetioffbeat

Jeff said...

Dave - I have a couple of concerns about this particular Yeti sighting. One - I always am skeptical of Yeti sightings because they are in the mountains vs. the forest. Nobody wants to go into the mountains to find proof. They are more likely to say "ahh, screw it." Personally, I don't even like to climb stairs let alone mountains.

Two - that footprint photo on the right (from your link) seems too "pristine" to me. And they say it's 8 inches long. That's not Bigfoot, it's Littlefoot.

Three - this particular sighting was made by Japanese "adventurers." They also claim to have spotted the Beast "in silhouette." What is the one thing a Japenese adventurer is gauranteed on having? A camera. Snap a picture, buddy.

Sadly, I believe it's another ruse. The truth is out there, however. One day.