Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Credit Where Credit Is Due. And None Where It's Not.

So.....after that last political post, I debated whether to move on to either religion or sports for my next post. Sports won. Here are some sports topics on my mind today.

1. Gophers football at 7-1. Before this season, if someone would have told me that the Gopher football team would be 7-1 after 8 games, I would have advised that person to seek psychological help. As I have stated in the past, at the end of last season (1-11) Tim Brewster was officially in the running for Biggest Coaching Buffoon in Minnesota History. (Denny Green currently holds that title, by the way), mostly due to his personality and promises of a Rose Bowl.

I have to give credit where credit is due, however. Brewster has the Gophs at 7-1 with nice road victories over Illinois and Purdue. They haven't really beat a "great" Big Ten team, but they held their own against Ohio State. And, hey, they haven't lost games to teams they should beat. The upcoming schedule looks relatively easy too, except for the game at Madison. There is no Penn State or Michigan State.

The talent level looks higher, especially on defense. And with Adam Weber at QB and Erik Decker at WR, the future looks bright for this squad. Add to that the fact that the new outdoor stadium opens next year (and looks amazing), and they are starting to land some good recruits. Winning always breeds winning. This is a team that I always wanted to cheer for, but found it almost impossible. But, hey, I'll go see anyone play outdoor football in the fall. Now, it looks like they might field a competitive team in a legitimate college stadium.

Best of luck to the Gophers. I hope they do well.

2. Kevin and Pat Williams test positive for using a banned diuretic in water pills. Does this surprise you? If you are a Viking fan, you surely know to fear "down time" for our favorite team. The Vikings are the only team in the NFL that can screw up more during the bye week than when they actually play.

Kevin and Pat Williams (no relation except for stupidity) are two of the most important players on the defense. They now face the possibility of serving 4-game suspensions for using a banned substance that apparently "masks" the use of steroids. If they are out for 4-games, the Vikes are done. In fact, they are probably done anyway.

I think this latest fiasco cements the possibility that Brad Childress will not be the coach of the Minnesota Vikings in 2009. It also doesn't help their image to fans and politicians who have a stake in the upcoming legislative battle for a new stadium.

Way to go, boys. This is not Bud Grant's Vikings, I tell ya.

3. Timberwolves start new season with win. I only two things to say about this:

One - I can't believe that this is the Wolves 20th season. They started when I was a senior in college. That means I was a senior in college 20 years ago. Dear Lord.

Two - Mike Miller is a nice addition to the team. He has GOT to cut his hair, though. He just has to.

That's all.

Jeff

6 comments:

tony8489 said...

god, I miss bud grant

Anonymous said...

Go Gophers!

Oh, and I have a new restaurant to recommend.

Town Talk Diner, down on Lake Street just east of Hiawatha Get there before 6 on a Saturday and sit at the diner counter. Best service in Minnesota. Then watch as the place gets packed. Food-Awesome. Service-Awesome (if you like to chat). Beer menu-Huge.

Just go. You won't be let down.

The Real dave m has spoken

snyde043 said...

I was a senior in high school when the Wolves started playing.

Many of my college memories involve sitting around the TV with my fraternity brothers making fun of guys like Stojko Vrankovic and Bill Curley. Note: I was one of those slowpokes that took more than 4 years to graduate from the U.

And I completely agree on the Mike Miller haircut deal. Even posted about it on Canis Hoopus:

http://www.canishoopus.com/2008/10/17/637233/should-mike-miller-get-a-h

Jeff said...

snyde043 - Thanks for bringing up Stojko Vrankovic. That is hilarious!

He always reminded me of Walter Matthau playing basketball.

Jeff said...

Oh, and Dave - thanks for the restaurant recommendation. We'll have to check that out.

Also, I'll e-mail you about drinks before the Drive By Truckers/Hold Steady show.

Anonymous said...

Jeff:

Gophs: I agree that it's a feel-good story and I'm happy for Brewer and the entire program. At Wisconsin, we're more involved with making sure the band doesn't haze in-coming freshmen that don't know how to play beer-pong.

The Vikes... leaf drive, fella! Not worth getting your bp up for anymore. They're headed west... sooner than you think.

Wolves: That chick in the picture's kinda cute!

Out