Back in The Day, I grew up absolutely loving hockey and the Minnesota North Stars. Their games were carried on KMSP channel 9, and Z-100 radio in Eau Claire so I could tune in when the game wasn't televised. I was also lucky enough to attend quite a few games at the beloved Met Center, which was located on hallowed ground in Bloomington, Minnesota. An Ikea stands on that ground now, which is depressing in itself.
Back then, I hated the Chicago Blackhawks more than any entity on planet Earth. I am reminded of this because Dennis (The Rat) Savard was fired as coach of the Blackhawks today only 4 games into the season. Savard, who smoked between shifts during games, was part of those hated Goonhawks teams along with Al Secord, Doug Wilson, etc. I HATED Chicago, but I have fond memories of that rivalry. The North Stars countered with Brian Bellows, Neal Broten, Dino Ciccarelli, Bobby Smith, etc. Contests between the North Stars and Blackhawks were personal, heated, and often filled with fisticuffs. Brawls, even. Those were the days.
As we all know, the North Stars moved to the hockey hotbed of Dallas, Texas in 1993 and took the team's name, colors, and history with them. It was a sad day, to say the least. Luckily, Minnesota got hockey back with The Wild, but I have to admit things are not quite the same. I love the Wild and the Xcel Energy Center, but they now play in a division with western teams instead of Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis. The natural rivalries are just not there. And, there has been an influx of European players that has changed the NHL and it's style of play. It's just not like The Good Old Days.
Anyway, I found some footage of a Stars-Hawks brawl at Met Center in the late 1980's that really brought back some memories. Take a look and let me know what you think. I'd like to hear some of your memories of the North Stars?
By the way, Secord still sucks.
Jeff
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Blast From the Past #3 - Minnesota North Stars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I remember being the lone voice in the wilderness taking norm green at his word when he threatened to move. no one, I mean no one believed that he would. cannot remember if you thought he would yank them, thomps. refresh my memory.
I have always believed that when a team has an owner with absolutely no roots in the city the team resides, there is always a threat to move. Norm Green owned nothing to the Twin Cities, and as soon as things got bad (and he was accused of that sexual relations stuff) he had no reason to stay. This was also a case of politicians doing nothing to help keep a team. All in all, a bad karmaic mix.
Say what you want about Carl Pohlad, but he could have tried to move the Twins many times but didn't. (By the way, I believe the North Carolina thing was a barganing ploy, but that is up for debate). It's because Carl has local ties.
Viking fans should pay attention to this. No matter what Zygi Wilf says, he has no ties to this state. HE may not move the team, but he will certainly sell to someone who will.
Jeff...remember wheh we got caught trying to sneak beers into the Met.
That "lady" sitting behind us told the usher...I just know it.
...By the way Jeff, Happy Birhtday!
Pohlad never tried to move the Twins, he just tried to contract them!! Which is worse?
Jase - I remember like it was yesterday.....or maybe last week. That was back in our trenchcoat days. A guy could fit 4 or 5 beers in one of those caots. If you remember, we were in the very last row of The Met for that game. I still don't know how we go caught. That was 6 good beers down the drain, but at least they didn't kick us out. Good times.
Free - I have been thinking about your question about moving a team or contraction being worse. Both are so evil that I am having a hard time with this one. If a team is contracted, at least the fans don't have to watch them play (and inevitably win a championship) in a different city in front of fans that didn't have to put up with "the lean years." But contraction is dispicable. I don't know which is worse!
Here is some good reading for those of us from Eau Claire. A bit of a blast from the past.
sorry http://sportsbubbler.com/DisplayTopic.aspx?TopicID=2786
there it is
I agree with Jeff, moving is worse than contraction.
I used to watch the North Stars with my mom when I was a kid and I quit caring about hockey when Norm Greed moved them to Dallas.
Jon - thanks for the link. That story is absolutely crazy. Does Rabedeaux have a ungoing blog on that sports bubbler thing?
Man, he and Cub looked alike.
If you fish around on the site you can find other postings
I was at that game with my brother and a few other EC luminaries! Was absolutely crazy and by the time they got done dishing out the penalties, there were 5 Stars and 3 Hawks sitting on the bench. The rest were either down the exit ramp or in the sin-bin. Good stuff!
I grew up 2 blocks from Rabs and didn't know he was coaching in China. Seems to have some time on his hands though over there...
Post a Comment