Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thoughts On the Big 12-10 Win Over the Lions. And Some Other Stuff.

I have vowed not to criticize NFL officiating for the next week. I declare that they are my friends. Today, folks, the highly-qualified NFL officials basically handed the Vikings a 12-10 victory over the Lions after a phantom pass interference was called late in the game. The Lions 'wuz robbed (sorry about that dools). The penalty basically put the Vikes in field goal position with two minutes to play. Ryan Longwell nailed it and the contest was history.

I still, for the life of me, cannot get a grip on what "pass interference" is in the NFL. I have seen receivers get absolutely hammered or held with no call. On the flip side, I have seen receivers draw an interference call with nobody within 5 yards of them.

Somehow, the Vikings managed to pull this one out even though they exhibited a prehistoric offensive scheme, lost 2 fumbles, had a field-goal blocked and threw an interception. I have figured out, however, that it is better to wonder how the Vikes won a game rather than wonder how they lost a game. Miraculously, they are tied for first place in the heated NFC North at 3-3.

I know this - the Vikings had better figure out how to move the ball if they want to stay in contention (which means 8-8). Adrian Peterson is doing his job, and Gus Frerotte is competent enough at QB to keep the team close. Both are running for their lives, however, and taking some bone-crushing hits. All bets are off if either of them sustains a serious injury.

Switching gears - I am watching the Packers-Seahawks game while typing this. Charlie. Frye. Is. Terrible. (But better than that guy on the Lions).

Switching gears again - it's good to have hockey back. I attended the home opener against hated Boston last night with The Eldest Son in which the Wild won 4-3. What made this game extra special is that Manny Fernandez was in the net for Boston. In his days with the Wild, Manny was often sullen and withdrawn, and was not scared to throw his teammates under the bus. Probably the one true head case the Wild has had on their roster. Last night, he gave up some soft goals and was cascaded with chants of "Man-ny.......... Man-ny........Man-ny" and "Sieve-Sieve-Sieve." Just like high school hockey. I loved it. Yep, good to have hockey back.

That's all for now.

Jeff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Officiating was horrendous in the Lions/Vikings game. Johnson was down. Orlovsky is not an NFL QB. Viking fans cannot feel good after watching that game.

As for hockey...at last!

Jeff said...

dools - Johnson was down, that wasn't interference at the end, and I think the Vikings interfered with a Detroit receiver on a long pass earlier in the game.

But, then again, what really is pass interference?

The whole NFC North is kind of sad.

Anonymous said...

This is a very different Viking team. Two weeks in a row their opponent got jobbed by the refs.

Because of this, Minnesota fans no longer have license to complain about the officiating. Not ever ever ever again. The Vikings should be 1-5.

Anonymous said...

what did I tell you? O-Line can't block. Gave up 4 sacks in the half. They can't run the ball because they can't block! Everybody had 8 in the box last year too against us. I don't know if you recall, but we still had T-Jack back there.

Defensive line stepped up and did what it's supposed to do... every game! Chilly's gone after his next loss, the purple pants gotta come out of retirement and the hockey's back in town!

Hurray!