I went to bed last night thinking the Wolves messed up and took the right guy in the draft. When I woke up this morning, my wife was already up watching the news and said "the Timberwolves traded that guy they drafted for some guy named "Love."
My heart sank. You knew this was going to happen, right?
Here we go again! McFail! Then, I settled down and poured over the details of the trade on the internet. Basically the Wolves give Mayo, Greg Buckner, Antoine Walker & Marco Jaric to Memphis for Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal & Jason Collins. Now, I am not going to pretend to be a big basketball aficionado and break down the X's and O's of this deal. If you want that, Neil K. added a link to an excellent Britt Robson article in his comments on the previous post (thanks Neil!).
Here are my impressions of this trade:
1. Obviously, people are freaking out because of the horrible history the Wolves had had with Kevin McHale trades. His last couple (Boston and Miami) may actually work out in the Wolves favor in the long run. Not that handing Kevin Garnett to Boston didn't "help" them mind you.
2. Let's face the facts - O.J. Mayo will probably turn out to be the next Magic Johnson. That is The Way Things Go. Would he have been happy in Minnesota? Who knows. Will Mayo even remain in Memphis? Who knows. These guys tend to "pout" and demand a trade if they are not HAPPY in the situation. Hey, it's a hard life. See Stephon Marbury for details.
3. It seems that McHale and the Wolves always wanted Love. I give them credit for NOT taking him with the third pick, and actually trading for him to get some additional stuff in return. Love is McHale's kind of guy. Heady. A Gamer. All that crap. Kind of dorky looking, which is perfect. What bugs me the most about Love is that pencil-thin "beard" that "the kids" seem to like. Man I hate those.
4. The Wolves have rid themselves of Marco Jaric and his comedic, yet immoral contract. This move cannot be overstated. Seriously, Jaric must feel like he is stealing every time he gets paid. Now, he is going to marry a supermodel. How bad did this guy suffer in a previous life to get this kind of stuff handed to him?
5. Mike Miller can shoot three's. That's good.
6. The Wolves, I guess, freed up all kinds of cap room for future free agents. The only problem with this is that most basketball players want no part of Minnesota in the winter. Except the heady gamers.
7. Hey, ESPN's Chad Ford likes the trade. Who is Chad Ford? I don't know.
Well, that's all I've got. I know a bit more about baseball, hockey and football than I do about basketball. I tried playing basketball when I was a lad, but I broke my glasses every time. I mean every time.
What do you think about this trade? And more importantly, how about them Twins!!
Jeff
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'll just say this. Chad Ford knows more about hoops than me and so does Britt Robson. If they like the deal, I think that's good enough for me. I'm not sold on Mayo or Love, so I'm looking at the fact that the Wolves got a solid player in Miller and dumped Jaric's horrible contract as the difference-maker.
I did not like passing on DeAndre Jordan in the 2nd round for a big white dude from Montenegro. Even if he's good, who knows for sure that he'll come here? Jordan's knock was that he's unmotivated, but that's what would have made him a no-risk 2nd round pick. If he wants an NBA career, he's going to have to earn it.
I also didn't really like the Chalmers trade to Miami because the Wolves could have used him. He could have taken Bassy Telfair's spot and upgraded the perimeter defense.
I think I like the trade as well, but there's one point about it that that saddens me: As I've read about in comments elsewhere, if Memphis would have kept Love, imagine all the Gay-Love jokes that would have been flying around with him and Rudy Gay in the starting lineup. That alone makes me disappointed about the trade.
Geez. That is an excellent point Neil. The NBA may have mandated this trade for that very reason.
You know, I've always wondered how sales of Rudy Gay jerseys are doing...
I have to think that it's a good deal too. Love was a solid inside player in college and Mayo has lots of character issues surrounding him. I would think after guys like Marbury, Sprewell and Telfair having major character issues, you'd be happy to have a solid, decent human being on the team.
Thanks again for Garnett BTW.
Logic says you are correct, Phil. The problem is that we've had some solid human beings who couldn't pass, shoot or dribble.
Well yeah, but you can't keep being hung up on Wally Szerbiak and Michael Olawa...whatever.
Besides, you dumped Wally on my Celtics, remember?
Post a Comment