1. So Kevin Garnett gets his ring. Free wrote a good post about this. I must say that Free is a better man than me because I am rather bitter about the whole thing, which probably says more about me than anything. Nothing against Kevin Garnett, mind you. He poured his heart and soul into playing for the Cursed Timberwolves for over a decade. He put Minnesota back on the NBA map. But anybody who has been paying attention knew in their heart that, the minute the trade was made, Boston would win the championship this year. Seeing Garnett win a championship in Boston is a little like having an ex-wife who marries a Hollywood star and hits the lottery. "Oh yeah. I'm.............really happy for her." This is How Things Happen in Minnesota.
This is why we all know there is only one way for another Minnesota team, the Vikings, to win the Super Bowl: move. If the Vikings move to LA, Vegas, Toronto or Fargo, they win the Super Bowl within two years - no question. This is How Things Happen in Minnesota. Staying with that same topic, Dr. Z of SI.com is picking the Vikings to WIN THE SUPER BOWL this year. Ah, Dr. Z? Have you been watching the Vikings over the last 40 years? It simply can't happen.
And by the way, does anybody read Bill Simmons on espn.com? Simmons is the Boston shill for ESPN. I like the guy, and he is very funny, but his "Boy Am I On Cloud 9 Now That the (insert Patriots, Red Sox or Celtics) have won the (insert Super Bowl, World Series or NBA Championship) is getting old. My God, Boston should just keep a permanent street route open for championship victory parades. This is akin to the same guy winning the lottery over and over and over and saying "Boy am I psyched that I won a zillion dollars for the 12th time! I haven't felt this good in hours!" We're happy for you Bill. Again.
2. I was perusing the movie reviews in the paper the other day and noticed that one particular film was rated PG-13 for violence, profanity and........smoking. Smoking? I had to read that three times. I don't remember smoking playing into movie ratings before. Sure enough, I Googled "smoking and movies" and found a May 11th New York Times article on the subject. Here is what that article had to say:
In a significant change to its movie ratings system, the Motion Picture Association of America on Thursday said portrayals of smoking would be considered alongside sex and violence in assessing the suitability of movies for young viewers. Films that appear to glamorize smoking will risk a more restrictive rating, and descriptions of tobacco use will be added to the increasingly detailed advisories that accompany each rated film.
Antismoking groups, already successful in much of the country in banning smoking in bars, restaurants and other public places, have ratcheted up the pressure on Hollywood in recent years to purge movies of images that might promote tobacco use. Some have even demanded that virtually any film with smoking be rated R, shutting out those under 17 unless they are accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
Now, I am not a smoker. But, come on people. Smoking is going to put on the same level with people having sex, heads getting cut off and the "old-F'n-heimer" being uttered every 15 seconds in movies? Come on. What is next in movie ratings? How about these things: Drinking beer. Hamburger eating. Not wearing seat belts. The movie listings in the paper will be as thick as the telephone book. Would anybody NOT take their kids to a movie if there is smoking? Here's some more from the NY Times article:
Dr. Healton said her group advocated an R rating for all smoking references unless they were historically accurate or “unambiguously demonstrate the health issues.” Lindsay Doran, a veteran Hollywood producer known within the film community for her opposition to onscreen smoking, applauded the ratings revision.
“It would be nice if we could leave this to the filmmakers,” said Ms. Doran, producer of last year’s PG-13 rated “Stranger Than Fiction,” in which Emma Thompson played something of a human ashtray, and quite deliberately deglamorized her tobacco addiction. But, Ms. Doran added, even socially conscious Hollywood types could use a nudge.
“This makes people say, ‘Wait a minute, what are we doing here, and why are we doing it?’ ” she said.
So if it's an ugly loser smoking, the movie's PG. If it's a beautiful heroine smoking, it gets an R. Look, I realize that smoking is bad for a person. It just seems to me that we are trying to "classify, rate, warn, etc." against every possible type of "bad behavior" because it is assumed people cannot think for themselves.
3. Lastly, my favorite politician to "needle," Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, is at it again. Now that the controversial circus animal issue has been solved, Mayor Rybak has found a new windmill to attack - bottled water. From today's StarTribune.com:
Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and other mayors from around the country are urging all U.S. cities to stop spending tax money on bottled water, and instead drink from the tap. A resolution to that effect has been written and will be presented Saturday in the Environment Committee of the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting in Miami.
The resolution, submitted by Rybak and the mayors of 14 other cities, cites a host of reasons why cities should use their own municipal water, rather than bottled water.
Rybak's office stopped serving bottled water last year, and Minneapolis has about $200,000 in its budget this year to promote city water.
Also, the city of Minneapolis points out that a resident can refill a bottle 2,850 times with city water before equaling the price of a single 79-cent bottle of store-bought water.
Coca-Cola (Dasani), Nestle (Ice Mountain) and PepsiCo (Aquafina) are the leaders in a $10.8 billion-a-year bottled water industry in the United States, with demand growing 8 percent a year.
Going up against a $10.8 billion-a-year industry? Good luck with that fight, Mayor. I am just glad that the issues of crime, retail/office vacancy, downtown job loss, etc. have been solved in Minneapolis. This leaves plenty of time for circus animals and bottled water. Look, Rybak seems to be a nice guy, and he was always very cordial when I wrote him e-mails about his "lack of involvement" on the Twins stadium (you think I didn't?). His was always very kind to respond. He never really answered my questions for him, which amounted to "what the hell are you really doing?" There was a lot of talking in circles. I guess we'll see where this hard-hitting issue ends up.
4. Lastly, I am keeping an eye on the NHL draft tonight on the internet. The Wild pick 24th. I have noticed something new - individuals born in the 1990's are now routinely being drafted into the National Hockey League.
These are the things that keep me up at night.
Jeff
11 comments:
Dr Z has a horrible track record as a prognosticator. I remember back in the late 80's the headline in the SI football preview said "it will be joey browner and the vikings who will be partying in new orleans for super bowl whatever". TO even suggest the vikes will win the super bowl is downright idiocy.
Every guy needs a vice. Porn, chew, beer, cigs, red meat, golf, etc. What is the deal here? how sterile and antiseptic of a society have we become? Christ, what a nation of pussies we are. my four year old was reading a playboy, while sipping on a pigs eye in his sippy cup, eating a porterhouse, and had a skol bandit in while he was playing wiffle ball with the neighbor kids. we need to get them while they are young.
Hey dad, Let's go to Tomb Raider III I heard there's a shower scene with Angelina Jolie.
Sorry son, we can't Robert Downey Jr. smokes in that movie, maybe when you're 17 you can rent it.
Jeff, I agree with your comments. Off subject, I hear testorone will be extinct in 2050.
First of all I want to thank you guys for giving us the NBA championship this year. It'll look nice with the other 6 championships we have in this decade.
However, one thing I have noticed and I even noticed this after the 2001 Super Bowl win by the Pats. Your team wins the title. It feels AMAZING. You party, you dance around the house, you turn over cars and light them on fire. Good times.
But after you get out on bail, you realize your life really isn't going to change. The bills have to be paid, you go to work everyday, eat the same bologna and cheese sandwich and it stops mattering about 2 weeks later.
phil-your patriots are cheaters. shame on them
Free - you summed up exactly what I was trying to say.
Phil - I admit that I write these things about the Boston teams out of "jealousy." I can't imagine watching my local teams win that many championships. I think that's why it's "wearing off" for you so quickly. Hey, I'm still living off of the fumes of the Twins '87 and '91 championships!
Cheaters? That's it? Soooo...what about the Sox and the Celtics?
Funny how so few other coaches in the NFL really came out and lost their minds. I would bet real money most of the other coaches in the NFL were doing the same thing and just didn't get caught.
I have had the pleasure of proctoring the ACT for the past year, due to some very high level connections at Roseville HS (my sister). This was the first set of students that were taking the test that were all born after I graduated. Talk about old...
Good stuff. I join Free in being happy for KG, but as a die-hard Timberwolves fan since their inception, I can completely relate to the "This is How Things Happen in Minnesota" theory. Even though the Celtics are not my team, I do take some added pleasure in seeing them beat Kobe and the rest of the hated Lakers, especially the complete and utter devastation that was wrought in the Finals-clinching blowout. That *was* fun to watch!
I do read Bill Simmons and while the Boston shilling can get old, the man is funny. I really enjoyed his book "Now I can Die in Peace" and hope to someday offer a follow-up if the Timberwolves or Vikings should ever win it all.
Looking forward to Thursday's NBA draft. As a partial-season ticket holder for the Wolves, I got invited to their draft party. Should be interesting, to say the least.
snyde043 - I have this gut feeling that, somehow, the Wolves are going to end up with Brook Lopez. They'll trade down and take him.
I hope I'm wrong about this.
I hope you're wrong, too. I saw the video clip of Brook Lopez getting his shot blocked by a 46-year old Jim Pete.
McHale and Hoiberg were there, so they saw it too. If they still even have Lopez on their board, then both of them need to go.
Post a Comment