Saturday, July 24, 2010

David Kahn Fined $50,000 For Speaking The Truth

It's not often that I feel the need to defend Timberwolves President David Kahn. After all, he is the 2nd most disingenuous individual in the entire Twin Cities sports scene (Tim Brewster is, hands down, #1). And, he's a tad on the creepy side. But, I have to defend Kahn for his recent comments on Micheal Beasley, the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft. Beasley has been a bust so far in his career and was recently acquired by the Wolves from the Miami Heat. Kahn was asked about why Beasley has been a bust while appearing on a local radio talk show with Patrick Ruesse. According to a story in today's StarTribune, here was Kahn's answer:

"He's a very young and immature kid who smoked too much marijuana and has told me that he's not smoking anymore," Kahn said, "and I told him that I would trust him as long as that was the case."

For this comment, David Kahn and the Timberwolves organization were fined $50,000 EACH by David Stern and the NBA. They stated that Kahn's comments were "detrimental to the league."

First of all, I am glad that I was sitting down when I heard Kahn's comments. Is he insinuating that an NBA basketball player might be engaging in the illegal activity of smoking marijuana? This of course, is sarcasm. My question would be: Is there an NBA player who does NOT smoke marijuana? I think Kahn's comments are dead on, and most likely 100% accurate. Look, it's hard for a player to compete in the NBA when all he is thinking about is scarfing down some nachos at halftime. In order for Beasley to play at the level expected of a second-overall pick, he probably has to put down the hookah and lay off the hooch. This is all Kahn said.

I guess I can see why David Stern might be a bit bummed for this news to "leak out," but is this a surprise to anyone? Let's not mince words here. The NBA has become a league of thugs and potheads. Hey - this ain't Hoosiers, folks. And I am NOT trying to infer this is a race thing. Black, White, Purple, Green. They are all part of this NBA "culture." This is like being shocked that a bowling team drinks too much beer, for Cliff's sake.

One thing, however. I know Kahn said that he is convinced that Michael Beasley is off the ganja, but he may want to enforce some periodic drug testing just to make sure. From the look on Beasley's face on that picture I attached, I think he has his mind on the media buffet at the back of the room. I don't think he's feeling any pain. I'm just sayin.....

Jeff

4 comments:

Gilby said...

And this is from the guy who just agreed to pay this "playa" a multi-million dollar contract to don the Lumber-Puppies jersey? I'd say the NBA's skin is getting a bit too thin!

tony8489 said...

I hate the NBA

freealonzo said...

So it's the dead of January and Micheal Beasley just got home. It's 10 below zero with 10 inches of snow on the ground. He fires up the PS3 to play some Dead Red Redemption and you're telling me he's not going to fire up the bong too? This from a guy who could have been out all the time in Miami but chose to hang around and smoke pot. Something tells me by November the pot market is going to strangely skewed.

Jeff said...

Free - if only GameWorks would not have closed. Then it would have been problem solved for Michael Beasley.