Thursday, November 5, 2009

The National - Another Band I Am Three Years Late On

Jerry from THE CHECK burned a CD for me months ago called "Boxer" from a band called The National. I put it on my iPod and waited until just a few weeks ago to start listening to it (sorry, Jerry). I had noticed that every time I listened to Wilco on Pandora, The National would be featured as a similar band. That is all I need to know. Also, the bands last two albums have been critically praised, so I thought it might be time to give these guys a chance..

I began listening to The National and I must say that I haven't had a band grow on me like this in a long time. Admittedly, the disc took some getting used to. It's a so-called "creeper." The lead singer, Matt Berninger, has a somewhat mumbly, baritone voice that comes across as part Nick Cave and part Ian Curtiss. The music is fairly mellow and atmospheric (a good word) and has lyrics that make you think. I wouldn't say I'd put it on at a party, but it's fantastic music that really grows on a person.

No comments: