Monday, May 25, 2009

A Couple of Notes.....

Happy Memorial Day, everyone. Here are a couple of quick thoughts before our next BBQ:

1. Twins Sweep Brewers. After returning from a 1-6 road trip, the Twins suddenly looked like Murderer's Row while sweeping the Brewers in a three-game series at the Dome and outscoring them 23-8 in the process. Now, I believe the Brewers are a very good team - for the National League. I think the Brewers could win the National League. The American League, however, is vastly superior in overall talent to the National League, and here are some statistics to back up that statement. Check out the American League's winning percentage against the National League since 2004 in inter-league play:

2008: AL 149-NL 103 (.591)
2007: AL 137-NL 115 (.544)
2006: AL 154-NL 98 (.611)
2005: AL 136-NL 116 (.540)
2004: AL 127-NL 125 (.504)

The Twins actually have the best winning percentage in inter-league play since 2002, with 83 wins and 46 losses when you count the sweep of the Brewers. I guess my point to the whole thing is that the Twins sweep of the Brewers says more about the quality of the National League as a whole than the Brewers or Twins as individual teams. Having said that, I have always favored National League rules in which the pitchers bat and there are no designated hitters. It's more strategic and just a better game. So there.

2. Ex-Wilco Member Jay Bennett Passes Away. Tony8489 called me this morning with the news that Jay Bennett, a former member of Wilco, died in his sleep yesterday at age 45. The cause is not yet known. Wilco, my favorite current band, has had many different lineups over the years, with only lead singer Jeff Tweedy and bassist John Stirratt serving as mainstays from the beginning. Bennett was best known for his songwriting and playing multiple instruments, particularly keyboards. He had a huge hand in the band's excellent "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." From what I've read, Bennett and Tweedy were both perfectionists, which led to Bennett's firing from the band a few years back. This firing was well-chronicled in the Wilco movie, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart."

I've loved Wilco since their beginning in the mid-90's, and certainly enjoyed the music from Bennett's "era" very much. I liked the "Beatle-esque" sound he helped bring to "Summerteeth." May he RIP.

That's it for today.

Jeff

No comments: