Tuesday, May 12, 2009

1982-2009 Twins All-Metrodome Team

As you may have heard, 2009 marks the last season that the Minnesota Twins will play in the Metrodome. Say what you will about the Dome, there have been some very good Twins teams and some excellent baseball players that called that stadium home.

To honor the last season in the Dome, the Twins have a pretty cool promotion on their web site that allows fans to vote for the Twins All-Metrodome team. This team would obviously consist of Twins players from 1982 through 2009.

The web site allows fans to vote for one player at catcher and each infield position, three outfielders, three starting pitchers, two relievers and a Manager. So, after much deliberation, here is my personal All-Metrodome Twins team:

INFIELD:
First Base: Kent Hrbek
Second Base: Chuck Knoblauch (that was hard)
Shortstop: Greg Gagne
Third Base: Gary Gaetti
Catcher: Joe Mauer

OUTFIELD:
Kirby Puckett
Torii Hunter
Dan Gladden (very debatable, I realize)

STARTING PITCHERS:
Frank Viola
Bert Blyleven
Johan Santana

RELIEF PITCHERS:
Jeff Reardon
Rick Aguilera (No Ron Davis - sorry!)

MANAGER:
Tom Kelly (Two rings, man)

A couple things you will notice. When the vote was close, I gave the nod to players who won World Series. That is why Reardon and Aguilera beat out Joe Nathan. This is why Tom Kelly beat out Ron Gardenhire. This is why I voted for Dan Gladden over Tom Brunansky (2 rings vs. 1).

Each fan is allowed to vote 25 times, but this is the team that I am sticking to. How about you - what is your Twins All-Metrodome team?

6 comments:

Jerry said...

Wait...
You say the Metrodome is no longer going to be the home of the Twins?

Jeff said...

Jerry - Oddly enough, it is true. I check the web cam daily because I can't believe it either.

Anonymous said...

Mine was almost the same except you have to go with Radke over Blyleven.

Jeff said...

Anonymous - Radke is an excellent choice. I went with Blyleven because he was the #2 guy in the 1987 World Series and they would not have won without him.

Radke was also a great pitcher.He logged a lot of innings and won quite a few games for some pretty mediocre Twins teams in the mid/late 90's.

He was also born in Eau Claire.

dools said...

Bobby Seay! Dane Sardinha? Ugh!

Jeff said...

Hey dools - I feel your pain (see May 11 post). Frightenly enough, Kansas City looks like the team to beat in the Norris Division.