Sunday, November 9, 2008

Vikes Pull It Out

These Vikings-Packers games are killing me. As I mentioned in my last post, they are always bizarre. And close. Today's game was no exception, as it featured:

**Two safeties by the Vikings.
**The Packers having 98 yards of offense late in the third quarter and they were winning.
**The best defensive player on the field for the Vikings, Jared Allen, having a severely-separated shoulder.
**Three Packer interceptions, one returned for a touchdown.
**A punt return by the Packers for a touchdown (Vikings special teams = not so good).
**A missed field goal by Ryan Longwell.
**Gus.Frerotte.Looking.Terrible.
**A missed field goal by Mason Crosby that would have won the game.
**Donald driver not catching a slant and taking it 80 yards for a touchdown.
**A Viking victory.

Adrian Peterson basically WAS the Viking offense today. He rushed for 192 yards and had 33 yards receiving. Some of his more amazing runs were turning what should have been losses into short gains. The kid's a pretty good player.

Defensively, I've got to hand it to Jared Allen. I have heard a lot of comparisons between Allen and Jim Marshall for Allen's ability to play hurt. Jim Marshall, so the stories go, was known for once being hospitalized the morning of a game, and still making it to the stadium and playing the game of his life. Marian Gaborik should take note of this performance.

Anyway, it's always pleasing to get a win against The Pack. It's been awhile (2005, to be exact). We'll see what bizarre events take place the next time they play.

Jeff

8 comments:

tony8489 said...

finally a game worth watching...love AP and Allen and their will to win. those guys are tough as nails.

Jeff said...

tony 8489 - agreed. The Vikes seem to finally have a couple of guys that remind you of "the old days." What I mean by that is that Bud Grant could have coached them without wanting to kill them.

It's been awhile....

Anonymous said...

As mentioned before:

Final... Adrian Peterson 28, Gus Frerotte 27!

Anonymous said...

That would have been a frustrating game to lose. The Vikes controlled the line of scrimmage on BOTH sides of the ball. When that happens, whoever does that usually wins big. But thanks to Frerotte and the 6th (!!) special teams TD given up this year, they very well could have lost.

Anyone else notice that last year's Viking's 7th round pick, Tyler Thigpen, looks like he's rounding into a decent QB in Kansas City, after the Vikes cut him last year after training camp, in order to keep some extra DB or WR on the roster? Nice evaluation, Chilly. Bet you'd like to have that one back.

Neil K

Jeff said...

Chilly got by with some bad play calling in that game, particularily the call to go for the first down on 4th and 1 in the 4th Qtr. He listened to the drunks in the crowd (and AP) and went for it. He's lucky everything worked out.

And, the Special teams coach is lucky to still be employed.

No doubt Def. Coordinator Leslie Frazier will make a good head someday. Hopefully here.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I was watching "American Dad" (Why, I don't know...it was late) on Sunday night and they dropped a My Morning Jacket reference.

Anonymous said...

Not to mention the multiple arrests for public intoxication, several people being ejected from the game and two people being taken directly to detox. My folks have season tickets and said that the guy two seats down from them puked all over himself durring the game. You know, I used to have a good time a football games, tailgait all morning, get all fired up. I was never, however, unable to attend the game due to the amount of beer I drank. I used to look forward to the day I could bring my son along with me but now it looks like that won't be until he's 18. Pretty sad.

Jeff said...

Jerry - here is a good article, with video, about that subject:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_10943122?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com