Sunday, November 23, 2008

Another Confusing Weekend of Football

One team done with the Metrodome, two to go. The Minnesota Gophers bid farewell to the Metrodome Saturday night in a most appropriate manner - losing 55-0 to the hated Iowa Hawkeyes. By the way, traffic on 35 South after the game was backed up for miles as tractor after tractor full of Iowa fans merged on the highway for the long journey back to Iowa. Fifty-five to nothing. You can't make it up. As I said, I think it is a totally appropriate and fitting way for the Gophers to end 26 years of abject misery in the Dome. If you want a synopsis of some of the most mind-blowing losses the Gophers endured in the Dome, check out Dan Barreiro's "10 Top Villans in Metrodome history". It's utterly fascinating, and even comes with You Tube clips of the carnage. Here's hoping that the Gophers fare better in TCF stadium starting in 2009 - I really do want them to do well. Tim Brewster appears to be a solid recruiter, but I am not sold on his coaching ability. And, I am still not convinced he isn't crazy. We'll see. On the positive side - losing outside will sure be more fun than losing in the Dome. The glass is always half-full with me, no question about that.

I was a little paranoid to even turn the Vikings game on today after the Gophers shellacking. After all, the game was on the road, on hated REAL GRASS, in Jacksonville, so all of the pieces were in place for a letdown. So what happens? The Vikings beat Jacksonville 30-12. I don't pretend to understand this game of football, so I am just going to roll with the punches and bask in the thrill of victory.

One thing I missed - where was former-Viking WR Troy (Stone Hands) Williamson? The last I heard, Williamson wanted to meet Vikings coach Brad Childress at the 50-yard line before today's game and - get this - fight him. (I have news for Troy - over half of the state of Minnesota feels the same way you do.). Well, he must have been waiting on the sidelines for most of the game because I checked the final statistics and he had zero catches for zero yards. In his defense, he also had zero balls bounce off his helmet like back in his Viking days (glass half full - once again).

I also caught a glimpse of former Viking Head Coach Mike Tice roaming the Jacksonville sidelines. If you remember, Tice was fired by the Vikings a few years back and replaced by current coach Brad Childress. In honor of today's game, the St. Paul Pioneer Press had multiple articles on Tice, and even had a poll asking fans who they would rather have as the Viking head coach - Tice or Childress. Not surprisingly, Tice won 85% to 15%.

Now people, come on. I am no fan of Brad Childress, and Mike Tice was great for humorous quotes, but let's put down the crack pipe, here. Do you remember the Love Boat? Do you remember Tice selling Super Bowl tickets? Do you remember how he lost control of the players and half the team (instead of only 25%) had a criminal record? Remember how a pouting Randy Moss totally controlled the team? I do have to admit that Tice will always have a soft-spot in my heart for beating the Packers at Lambeau in the playoffs, however.

Viking fans have always had short memories when it comes to stuff like this. The back-up quarterback is historically the most popular player on the team (except for T-Jack). The most popular Viking Quarterback to this date, according to fan polls, is still Gino Torretta.

Anyway, the Vikes are tied for 1st place at 6-5 in the NFC Norris. The HATED Bears are up next at the Dome. The mere sight of that red "C" on the black helmet gets by blood boiling. There is a "bad moon rising" on the horizon, however, if the Williams Wall gets suspended for the use of that banned diuretic. If Pat and Kevin Williams get suspended for 4 games, all bets are off. That is not "the hammer," that would be "the guillotine." That could be the end of the Vikings season.

We should find out this week. Until then, my mind will be on a possible late-December bowl in Detroit or Nashville or Rice Lake for the Gophers.

Peace,
Jeff

4 comments:

snyde043 said...

What was Tice's record as head coach of the Vikings?

Throw out the one game he coached in 2001 after Denny bailed and he was .500 with less talent and a much cheaper owner than the Vikings have now.

I'm not saying Tice should be brought back, but this isn't college where there are academics or other concerns beyond win-loss record. In that light, it's not surprising people would largely prefer Tice over Chilly.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, at least you can add one more MEMORY or the gophs to your list.......If you recall your last post




Saturday's game against Iowa is the last Minnesota Gopher football game in the Metrodome, where they have been playing since 1982 . The Star Tribune has an article in today's edition about the tenure of the Gophs in the Dome.

Therefore, I thought it would be a good time to list my favorite Minnesota Gopher football memories during their stay in the Dome. Here they are:





Thanks,

tony8489 said...

every year the gophers beat up some cream puffs and the local media (sid)
fawn all over them, insisting things will change. what a joke. last time I was at a gopher game was when they choked that game away in the fourth quarter to michigan. what a colossal embarrassment.

Jeff said...

snyde043 - you make a very good point about the resources provided to Tice vs. Chilly. While it would be interesting to see what Tice could have done with more talent, I still think he was overmatched as a head coach in the NFL. So, by the way, is Chilly.

Anonymous - thank you - I will add that to my list.

tony8489 - As the 4th Qtr. began, that Michigan game was almost mathmatically impossible for the Gophers to lose, but they somehow managed to find a way. Michigan literally had to score every time they had the ball in the 4th Qtr - and quickly.

Which they did. Amazing.

At least they'll be putside next fall.