I was in attendance with my kids at yesterday's Twins game at Target Field. It was the rubber game of a three-game series against hated Atlanta. The prior two games were well-pitched contests that were both decided by 1 run in the late innings. Almost playoff-like. It's unfortunate that the Twins brass decided to literally give up before Sunday's game when they put this lineup on the field:
1. Nick Punto (.221)
2. Trevor Plouffe (.130)
3. Joe Mauer (DH)
4. Joe Morneau
5. Micheal Cuddyer
6. Jason Kubel
7. Delmon Young
8. Brendan Harris (.160)
9. Drew (Sal) Butera (.135)
The Twins were down 4-0 after 1/2 an inning, and simply had no chance while fielding this lineup. I have to admit that I was more on the edge of my seat during the mascot game than I was in the actual tilt against the Braves. Now, I realize that the Twins have a bunch of injuries. Orlando Hudson and J.J. Hardy on are the DL. But Nick Punto leading off and Trevor Plouffe batting second? If they only would have put Matt Tolbert in at First Base for Justin Morneau, the Twins would have had a lineup that would have had trouble competing against the St. Paul Saints. And poor Brendan Harris. He looks so overmatched at the plate right now, a guy has to wonder if he has amnesia or something. Thank the Lord for Delmon Young (I bet you never thought you'd hear my say that). Without him in the lineup recently, the Twins might be getting shut out on a regular basis. When I saw this lineup on the jumbotron before the game, I literally thought it was some kind of joke. And, I am not alone in my thinking.
I normally don't get into second-guessing Ron Gardenhire or anything, but I can only surmise that this was some kind of protest lineup by the Manager. Perhaps he's trying to make a point about the lack of help provided to him by Management or from the Minors? I don't know. I can't come up with anything.
It's not time to freak out or anything. The Twins are sitting at 36-27 and in first place in the AL Central. There are a few things, however, that I think they have to admit if they want to stay in that position the rest of the year:
1. Brendan Harris should not be in the lineup. The common perception seems to be that Harris simply needs more playing time to for his hitting to improve. Not if the Twins have any interest in making the playoffs, he doesn't.
2. It's time to cut the cord with Jesse Crain. Look, he's a nice guy and I don't question his desire. But, his 5.26 ERA is killing the team once again. And, his ERA with runners in scoring position and two outs? 23.50.
3. Drew Butera is a solid defensive catcher. He is simply overmatched batting, however, at the Major League level (as Bert Blyleven would say). He is an automatic out. It may be time to think of calling up Jose Morales or Wilson Ramos as the back up catcher.
Obviously, it will benefit the Twins to get Hudson and Hardy back in the lineup. But in the meantime, they may want to consider a few of those mascots I saw play yesterday. TC Bear and Nordy from the Wild were pretty darn good.
Jeff
Monday, June 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm sorry but I don't know where to put this.
I'm guessing you have this on DVD already but below is a link to the 6 million dollar man v. Sasquatch.
Oh and Sasquatch talks.
Oops, here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JktcQ2A32cU&feature=player_embedded#!
Free - that is awesome. I think I may have had the Sasquatch action figure from this show back in the mid-1970's. Do you notice that all the caves look the same in these 1970's shows? This was probably from the Land of the Lost set.
I know this - you'd have to be worth a lot more that $6 million to defeat the Sasquatch!
http://www.twincities.com/ci_15300627?source=most_viewed
Bigfoot back in the news. This one looks to be the real deal.
Thanks Dave - that is hard hitting news! See new post with even more insight from that gentleman....
Post a Comment