Admittedly, much of the music I have been listening to lately has been kind of a downer. While I love The National, they do not exactly inspire a person to run a marathon. Once again, it's the difference between "winter music" and "summer music." The fact that we're now officially reached summer means it's time to experience some more upbeat music. The new releases from The Hold Steady and the surprisingly "twangy, 1970's country-vibe" Band of Horses album have been on heavy rotation on my iPod.
Another band that fits description is The Gaslight Anthem. These New Jersey rockers are influenced heavily by their admitted hero Bruce Springsteen. They have also been compared to The Hold Steady (who they often appear with in concert), Tim-era Replacements (that is all I needed to hear), Social Distortion and The Clash. I disagree with The Clash comparisons because, while The Clash was pure British, Gaslight Anthem is 100% American rock 'n' roll. And, unlike The Clash, Gaslight Anthem is not out to save the world. Politics and world affairs are not the subject of their songs. This does not mean their lyrics are not intelligent, however. Much like early Springsteen, these songs are about life circumstances, the choices we make, growing up and getting older and, yes, even eventually facing death. An example is from their son "The '59 Sound:"
Well, I wonder which song they're gonna play when we go.
I hope it's something quiet and minor and peaceful and slow.
When we float out into the ether, into the Everlasting Arms,
I hope we don't hear Marley's chains we forged in life.
'Cause the chains I been hearing now for most of my life.
Did you hear the '59 Sound coming through on Grandmama's radio?
Did you hear the rattling chains in the hospital walls?
Did you hear the old gospel choir when they came to carry you over?
Did you hear your favorite song one last time?
I believe this song is written about a friend who died in a sudden car accident, and the singer wondering about the end to his own life. But it's not presented in a way that makes the listener want to jump off a cliff. It's upbeat and oddly uplifting. Much of today's music is moody and somewhat experimental, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I have to admit, however, that my soul needs some tunes that brings me back to the days of hanging out with with buddies and drinking beer at Carson Park. I need some uplifting summer music. The Gaslight Anthem is just that kind of music.
Jeff
No comments:
Post a Comment