There is a lot of crap being written right now on the Brett Favre saga, and rightfully so. Just for "fun" one evening, I checked out some Viking, Packer and Bear blogs online and was (surprisingly) amazed at the level of hatred, angst, insults and on the flip side love, adulation and praise being hurled at Favre and the Viking and Packer franchises. The odd part to me, as I wrote in one of my posts, to have much of the "love" being written from the Viking perspective and most of the "hate" coming from the Packer perspective - a complete 180. The Bear blogs, of course, hate everything which is no surprise.Leave it to Jim Klobuchar, one of the finest local writers of all-time in my opinion, to write a piece on Favre that speaks in common sense rather than emotion. He wrote it for the MinnPost web site, and I think it's worth a read. Here it is. Let me know what you think.
Perhaps the oddest thing of all is that I have gone from mocking Brett Favre on this blog to (sort of) defending him. Why? My own bias. He's a Viking instead of a Packer - no other reason. It's going to be a strange season.
Jeff
13 comments:
Jeff
That is a fantastic article.
The experience of watching Favre play for "your" team is both exhilirating and maddening, which you and your fellow Viking fans are about to experience. It is weird-wild stuff...enjoy it.
Klobucher's depiction of his career, and the respect others have for him brings back fond memories.
The bottom line is it will be a very entertaining season for the Vikings...which will generate much revenue for the organization.
A side note...as I write this, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers are surgically dis-embowling the defending NFC champions. But I digress.
Good post Jeff and I well said Jase. When the deal was finally consumated I was so worn out, I vowed not to watch a single Viking game for fear of overwriting my memories of Favre in the green and gold. Time, and this article, are helping me return to my better senses and keep things in perspective.
-Pedo
Jase and Pedo - nice to hear from you guys! (Pedo - what have you been up to?)
I wanted to add a link to Klobuchar's article because its literally the only one that I've read from the "common sense" angle. Some of the stuff that I was reading on line from fans of both teams was pretty ridiculous and even sort of frightening at times. I heard that at the last Packer home pre-season game, some fans were wearing the Favre Vikes jersey and it was actually causing confrontations in the parking lot. That is almost European-soccer like. Favre certainly stirs up some emotion. When they play at Lambeau it is going to be crazy.
Regarding the Pack this year, Jase, I think they have as good of a chance to win the division as anyone. They are kind of "under the radar" right now because of their record last year, but they appear to be in mid-season form.
It's going to be interesting!
My kids 9th grade football team would look in mid-season form against the Arizona Cardinals defense. Let's just wait until they play for keeps until we anoint Aaron Rodgers as the next Bart Starr.
I took a friend to Favre's game at the dome. He is a Packer season ticket holder and a huge Favre fan(he worked for the Brett Favre fan club and carries a picture in his wallet of him and Brett). He wore his Packers Favre jersey to the game. He drew far more sneers, dirty looks, and comments than I could have imagined at a preseason football game.
What is going to happen at the Oct 5 game?
Hey dools - While the October 5th at the Dome will be crazy, the game at Lambeau in November is the one that is going to down right insane.
People are already saying that it might be the most-viewed regular season football game in history.
That's pretty cool you went to the game at the Dome. Were there a lot of Packer #4 jerseys being worn?
Only saw about five #4 Packer jerseys.
Thomps,
Forgive me for this attachment. An employee sent it to me. If you are offended, I apologize in advance. You just never know who watches the NFL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VfHnCwLp14
dools - that is hilarious. I seriously laughed so hard I was crying.
By the way, dools, did you see this one? I noticed it on the right side of the screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AvAlIxwQo&feature=fvw
Funny aside to this story. The Warden (my wife) is not a football fan, nor a Vikings fan, but a huge Brett Favre "mark" since way back. Apparently, he has "it" in her eyes.
So she picks up a new purple 4 jersey and is wearing it when we stop in Bloomer, WI at the Main Street Cafe to pick up a pie to take up to Pat Graham's cabin this past weekend.
We walk in and a group of 70-something ladies sits in the first booth on our right. As The Warden passes by, one scoffs, the other rolls her eyes and the third says, "oh my... that's a sore subject in our house!"
It's going to be an interesting season to say the least!~
"I am a LION... hear me ROAR"
That was hilarious, he looks to Marinelli for inspiration!
Whoever does these is pretty funny.
Gilby - that is some funny stuff. Favre is even effecting the old farts!
"The Warden," by the way, is an excellent moniker for your wife.
Dools - did you see the one in which Hitler wated Burger King? Very funny.
I actually had a blog post on Monday about a completely different spoof using that Hitler footage. There are tons of them on youtube. Some of course a lot funnier than others.
Post a Comment