Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thoughts On The Michael Phelps Deal

People have been asking me what I think about this whole Michael Phelps deal in the news. In case you haven't heard, 23-year old 8-time gold-winning Olympian and international superhero Michael Phelps was caught smoking marijuana at a recent shin-dig he attended. Pictures were taken and published in a British tabloid. (And by the way, that picture doesn't leave anything to the imagination. He can't claim "that was merely a cigarette). Now, Phelps not only risks losing his superhero status, he will most likely lose millions of dollars in endorsement money and may even be banned from Olympic competition. I've had a few days to digest this, and I have a few thoughts.

First, it's a dumb move on Phelps' part. Here is a kid who is on top of the world. Everyone loves him. Endorsement money is thrown at him. Couldn't he just lay off the hooch for a bit? I guess not. He is 23 after all, and most 23 year old kids make mistakes. Usually not this big, however.

Second, I have heard that Phelps could be banned from Olympic competition because marijuana could be deemed a "Performance Enhancing Drug. This is laughable. Anyone who thinks smoking the ganja is going to help Phelps in the long-distance relays is delusional. If he keeps this up, he'll be too busy eating Doritos and watching Scooby Doo to be bothered by any Olympic trials.

Third, anyone who is flabbergasted that an athlete gets caught smoking pot simply has not been paying attention. Just check out any NBA game. I defy anyone to point out a player on the court who DOESN'T look like a pothead.

Fourth, and most important. I have finally come to realize that ANY stupid move a person makes in public has a better than average chance of ending up on the World Wide Web for God and all creation to witness. Let what happened to Phelps be a cautionary tale for anyone out there reading this. ANYTHING stupid that you do will most likely end up on the Internet. Between camera phones, You Tube, paparazzi, etc., you're going to get caught in the act.

Look here is a case in point. All I have to do is go to You Tube, search on my alma mater of the University of (Leinenkugels) Eau Claire WI and you get this. My Lord. None of those people will ever hold political office. None of those people will be endorsed by a brand or company. (By the way, I know that they would never, ever hold office or be endorsed even if this video didn't exist). It's over for them. Kind of scary.

So be careful out there, people. Remember - in this day and age, anything stupid you say or do could end up on the Web for all of the world to see. Geez, just look at this blog.

Peace,

Jeff

8 comments:

Kim Kosmatka said...

I saw a television interview on this topic yesterday. The "experts" called online posts like this one, blogs, videos on You Tube and the like, "TATTOOS". Basically, it takes a whole lot of effort to get rid of it once its out there.
I'm not sure the "young ones" get that just yet.
But the interviewER also had a point. Just as these kids grow up with the technology, so will the bosses. Leeway will eventually be granted.
Doesn't make it right. It is what it is.
And as for that UWEC video...wow. We didn't do that did we? I know there is a video, though. Somewhere. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

I doubt he will get banned from Olympics. Remember a few years ago a snowboarder got temporarily stripped of a gold because he was high on the Ganga. He got it back when a court ruled that it probably made him worse of a snowboarder.

As with Phelps. That is one big bong, I guess it could have been legal tobacco, right? I think the signs were clearly on the wall when everytime I opened up TMZ.com (about 12 times per day), there was a picture of him gambling in Vegas with a number of creatively busty female types glomming on him.

I am trying to decide what I would have done if I became a multi-millionaire athlete at 23 years old and a media darling.

I think I would go to Vegas, get hit on by a bunch of hotties and smoke weed until my head fell off. But that is just me.

BTW. How did that last poster get her picture up there? VERY Cool.

Anonymous said...

Jeff

That you tube video brings back fond memories of the "quarter barrel races" at the Teke house...no?

Anonymous said...

Well that explains the huge amounts of junk food Phelps is reported to eat on a daily basis.

Jeff said...

Kim - the frightening thing is there probably is a video out there someplace of the old UWEC days.

Dave - you make some good points. A couple of notes:

1. I thought that weed is actually mandatory for snowboarders.

2. If I was a multi-millionare media darling at 23, I probably woudn't be around anymore. Literally.

3. I am not sure how Kim got her picture on these comments, although I know it's a feature through Blogger. Kim?

Jase - the funny thing is, I have no recollection of those "races" you speak of. I know they happened, but for some reason, I have no recollection....

Anonymous said...

Jeff

races? huh?

Kim Kosmatka said...

I honestly can't remember if Maura was at our house party...the one that got busted??? Were you???
There is video! I would SO pay to see that today! I'd be willing to bet Susie H. has the tape and is waiting for McCormick to run for Governor.

As for the photo showing up...it surprised me as much as you! I think maybe because I have my picture posted on my blog it came up? But it doesn't come up on all blogspot posts, so I'm really not sure what happened there. I'll have to ask my 12 year old.

Kim Kosmatka said...

Just ran a test on Maura's blog.
My photo does not show up on hers.
You must be special!