I've been checking Monday's weather forecast online about every half-hour today. It hasn't rained in days, and today (Sunday) feels like June - 70 degrees and sunny. The forecast for Monday's Twins opener at Target Field, however, calls for scattered showers and Thunderstorms.
Of course.
But you know what? It doesn't matter. This is a day that I have been waiting for since the 1980's. Outdoor baseball returns to Minnesota. A chance of a little rain won't ruin this moment. Plus, I'd rather have the threat of rain rather than the assurance of a roof. I will be in attendance to witness the official opening of the stadium.
I realize that I am a little (or a lot) over the top when it comes to baseball and this stadium stuff. There is something about the game of baseball that makes me very sentimental. The nation is in love with football, but football just makes me nervous and angry. Baseball is a game that was built for a slower time. It not all "life or death." Hey, you win 2 out of 3? Great! In football, if a team loses it's first game, they're screwed. George Carlin did a monologue about this.
I think I got my love of baseball from my dad. He was a hell of a baseball player back in his day. Growing up, I was always a little bummed that I wasn't a better player. I was an OK pitcher and a pretty good outfielder. I couldn't hit to save my life, however. I was a BAD hitter. He would come and watch me play in Little League and my first year of Babe Ruth baseball, but then he passed away before my second year of Babe Ruth baseball. The fact that he was such a good baseball player, and I loved the game so much, led to this sentimentality that I feel towards the game today. Baseball is something that father's and sons (or daughters) can use to connect with each other. Have you seen the end of Field of Dreams? I'm talking about when Kevin Cosner's character is playing catch with the ghost of his dad? I've seen it about 10 times and never with dry eyes.
Because of this sentimentality, it was hard watching baseball in the Metrodome over the past 28 years. Sentimental it ain't. Teflon roof, plastic everywhere. It was like playing baseball in your basement. But that is the past.
It's time for a new era to begin. Real grass. The sun. Clouds. And, yes, some rain. Target Field, to me, is the correction of a huge mistake. But sometimes it takes those mistakes to make you appreciate what is good.
Play ball!
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
my dad was my little league coach. you should see our team photos back then. both him and bud priest coached together. they never cracked a smile. my dad made me call him by our last name. those guys were classic products of the "silent generation". you did not even think of fucking around back then. I loved those guys. talk about a black and white world. I am with you on "field of dreams". watched that movie easily a hundred times. cried a hundred times. baseball and dads go together perfect. I am sorry for your fathers early passing away, as I am sure that had a big impression on you with your love of baseball. have a good time at the game.
Thanks for the kind words, Tony. Eau Claire Little Leauge and Babe Ruth are some of my greatest memories, even though I couldn't hit. I walked a lot though, and never got thrown out stealing in my entire career.
You are 100% correct about the Silent Generation. My parents were from that era that followed the "Hero Generation of WWII." On one hand, they didn't question authority, but you certainly knew where you stood with them. Back then, they told me "your hitting is terrible, but if you walk, you're basically on third."
That is all I needed to hear. Amen to that.
Dad could not have been prouder of you and I believe he is fully aware of all your attributes! - L.
I can literally still hear George coaching up young Tony on the mound, "High kick Tony, bend that back Tony, follow through Tony ~ Nice pitch Tony!" Good times. BPOE Elks if memory serves me.
"The Older Sister." I like that! I'm sure dad's not only aware of my attributes, he's most likely aware that I am starting to look exactly like him!
Gilby - I played for the expansion Plaza Furniture Padres with Alistair and Pedo. Glen St. Arnault (spelling?) of EC Cavaliers fame was our coach. Even though we weren't half-bad, I think we took 10years off of his life.
"Hip" "Let's quit screwin' the pooch out there fellas!"
Still see Saint regularly. Next time you're in EC, let me know and we'll get him out for a beer or twenty. He remembers EVERYTHING about all his teams and can B.S. with the best of them
Gilby - THAT would be fantastic!
Peado - I have vivid memories of me pitching, you catching and Al at second. I also have vivid memories of my grandma accidently bleaching my uniform so the gold was light yellow. That was great.
Who else was on that team? Remember Paul Peterson?
I know it's not the NFL draft post but Rick Spielman and Scott Studwell are both geniuses. Trading with Detroit to move down and picking up 2 picks in the process is still gonna allow the Vikes to draft Clausen and pay 2nd round money for him. They'll package those picks with Sage and move into the Raiders or Bills spot to draft an impact player to fill the gaps in the O-line in the 2nd round and will sign Westbrook and Haynesworth with the money saved from the free agncy market. Just a hunch but I see where they're headed with this. Love the move thus far.
Post a Comment